Extreme, take 2

Posted by: Trog

Extreme, take 2 - 04/01/10 10:58 PM

After my first run-in with an Airport Extreme , I thought I'd try again. I really want the 802.11n for my new Apple TV, and damnit, the extreme should work!

So, I bought another one (the first one was returned to Best Buy) from Amazon. I like Amazon, because they will let you return anything, no questions asked.

Plugged it in, and within about 4 minutes the network was set up, all third party devices were configured, and I had (I think) fully functioning NAT. I spent a week pulling my hair out on that last one just trying to get through that router from the outside. I guess the problem really was the device.

So odd that everything about the router would work perfectly except for the ability to have connections from the outside. That just seems so software based.

Oh well, I'm happy! laugh

/knocking on wood
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 04/02/10 06:59 PM

Glad you got it sorted out. Wireless routers tend to be problematic at times, even under the best of conditions.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 04/02/10 07:57 PM

Glad you got it sorted out, thanks for the update.

Told ya' it was bad. grin
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/26/10 07:24 AM

I'm expecting mine to be delivered today! Got the refurb base station.

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/26/10 03:02 PM

wow, talk about easy setup!

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/26/10 03:43 PM

They've got a lot better with the base software. I highly recommend them now, didn't for quite a number of years, the configurability of the software in the router wasn't up to par until about 3 years ago or so. They have great range too.

The only thing confusing is that their DMZ is called Default Host, took me a bit to figure that one out the first time.

Edit - My only gripe is having to restart the base station for every little setting change. You can make a lot of changes and then restart once, but if you only change one setting you have to restart too. There isn't one setting that doesn't need a restart if you change it. Some routers are better than others, but on all others there are only a few settings that need a restart, and the restart takes less than 30 seconds, the Airports take a couple of minutes.

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/27/10 06:23 AM

But how many routers can be managed wirelessly?
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/27/10 08:02 AM

I had three running wirelessly, one base station and two expresses working off the base station's signal. One of the expresses went caput, though, and I haven't replaced it.

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/27/10 08:23 AM

I can manage/administer my Express wirelessly from my Mini. My d-Link router can only be managed/administered via wired connection.

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/27/10 01:15 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
But how many routers can be managed wirelessly?
You can manage any wirelessly, if it's a wireless router of course. smile

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/27/10 01:22 PM

Can't administer my d-Link wirelessly.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/27/10 01:59 PM

I used to have a Linksys that also had to be administered via ethernet. PITA, I thought.

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/27/10 03:53 PM

I got rid of both Linksys! Had a hub and a wireless hub. Phew...I feel better now that I got an Apple one! smile

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 05/31/10 02:43 PM

I think mine went bad. Won't connect or see the internet.

Re: Extreme, take 2 - 06/01/10 06:20 AM

That's usually a good indication that the router has failed. wink