NAS recommendations?

Posted by: SgtBaxter

NAS recommendations? - 12/26/09 09:23 AM

I'm going to need to buy a NAS soon to store video from our HD cam, plus I'd like to store all photos and music there too.

I need to stream to the PS3, so it will have to have a DLNA server built in. Really looking for 1TB minimum, more is always better smile

Anyone using one that they like?

The other thing I'm considering is building a media server. Could have it attached to the TV directly, plus I could add storage easily and RAID it.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: NAS recommendations? - 12/26/09 11:11 AM

Don't have any real life experience with it but this looks cool. It holds two drives so you can do a RAID 1 if you want to mirror the data.

Manufacturer's page.

Re: NAS recommendations? - 12/28/09 07:28 AM

Thanks, I'll check that one out.

Netgear has a 2 bay XRaid box for $250, plus the cost of whatever drives you want to add. I'm seriously considering that, you can pop out the smaller drives and rebuild the raid with larger drives automatically in the future, plus it has UPnP/DLNA built in.

Seems a lot of these boxes don't do all that well in the ratings for some reason.
Posted by: John Rougeux

Re: NAS recommendations? - 12/29/09 03:58 AM

Not sure about NAS, but what about drobo?

Re: NAS recommendations? - 12/29/09 07:27 AM

Drobo isn't a NAS, you have to add the drobo share to add it to the network. It's almost $600 without any drives, twice as expensive as anything else and then you have to download and install apps to add the DLNA server.

I found a cool one by LG, that has the DLNA server, plus a blu ray burner for about $300.
Posted by: w2ed

Re: NAS recommendations? - 12/29/09 03:49 PM

If you have an old computer lying around, here's this for a suggestion:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/cheap_and_nasty_how_build_open_source_server

Granted, it's for turning an old or cheap PC into a NAS box, it's really not that difficult to take those instructions and figure out how to make a Mac equivalent (assuming, of course, that you have no old PC's but an old Mac or two.) Just a money-saving thought.
Posted by: TCPMeta

Re: NAS recommendations? - 01/05/10 09:08 AM

OpenNAS is a great system for creating a NAS. You can use a Mactel system. Just toss on Grub2 and wallah.

Re: NAS recommendations? - 01/06/10 06:38 AM

I think what I might most likely do is build a linux box with good RAID, toss ubuntu on it and install PS3 media server.

Ubuntu already has everything Open NAS has, and I can use PS3 media server.

One of the problems I have is that the HD video off my camcorder doesn't play natively on the PS3. So, if I bought an off the shelf NAS I'd have to transcode the video before storing. PS3 Media server transcodes it on the fly, and works great.