Recommend me a decent wireless router

Posted by: VarmintBlubber

Recommend me a decent wireless router - 12/10/09 09:23 AM

So my D-Link, probably three or four years old now, seems to be pooched. It will work for those Macs which are physically tethered into it (and then into the cable modem) but the wireless aspect seems to be toast. We fired up our laptop to check on the wireless capability (not generally used much by us, especially in the winter months) because we're expecting house guests soon and want them to be able to use their laptops via wireless. No go. Not even detecting a signal... zero bars for signal strength. Tried rebooting both router and cable modem, to no avail. Went to router control via Safari and while I can get in, every time I click on the wireless tab to see what's up it never loads. So I guess I'm in need of a new router. I'm told they do go in time.... well, doesn't everything.

What's currently hot/reliable/economical/dependable? Which brand name should I be going with? Linksys? D-Link? Appreciate being steered in the right direction.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 12/10/09 09:46 AM

D-Link or Linksys/Cisco is fine. If you need Static DHCP (DHCP reservation, where your computer or networked printer always get the same DHCP address) the new Linksys routers don't have that for some reason, D-Link does. If you don't know what Static DHCP is you probably don't need it.

Linksys have internal antennas, looks neater, cooler design.

To save money though, if you're not doing serious file sharing over wireless, or if your machines are not capable of wireless n protocol, there is no advantage to getting a wireless n capable router, they are more expensive. In order of the speed chain low to high you have b, g, and n. Wireless b is more than fast enough for internet. I don't think they even sell wireless b only anymore, they are all b/g or b/g/n.

If you do a lot of wired file sharing look for a gigabit ethernet option, but like the n option it's more expensive.

You can find these for probably around $30 US or so online.

Same here.

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 12/10/09 09:54 AM

Reboot, you are the man. Thank you for all that info. I was going to ask about the N routers and what advantages they offer. No, I won't be doing massive file sharing. It's really only to enable everyday kinds of traffic loads - a bit of email, a bit of surfing, a bit of youtube, that sort of thing. Sounds like a D-Link b/g is the ticket.

Thanks again, Reboot.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 12/10/09 10:21 AM

You can probably get a D-link DIR-615 (my current box, even though my machines are g only) on the cheap, just in case you want n capabilities in the near future. Also, n has much less interference issues than b or g.

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 12/10/09 10:39 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
Also, n has much less interference issues than b or g.
True, only if your equipment is n capable though, and true dat, the future n is something to consider too.

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 12/10/09 10:43 AM

OK guys.... gives me some ammunition when I go out to replace the router. Cheers.

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 12/10/09 10:44 AM

Yeah, what the bozo said too. grin The DIR-615's can be found cheap.
Posted by: ctan

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 02/16/10 05:39 PM

Grab the DD-WRT and throw it on your current router *if supported. Who knows, it may be a hardware issue.

What speed were you looking at for the router? G? N? I've been running DD-WRT'd Linksys routers and have had nothing but good luck (knock, knock).
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 03/03/10 04:41 PM

I second DD-WRT. It's not only made every router I've put it on more functional, but usually faster and more stable too.
Posted by: Trog

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 03/03/10 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
D-Link or Linksys/Cisco is fine. If you need Static DHCP (DHCP reservation, where your computer or networked printer always get the same DHCP address) the new Linksys routers don't have that for some reason, D-Link does.

Some of them do. Like this one. I'm considering this as a replacement for my failed Airport Extreme. Its cheaper than the airport and has more functions.

The interface is the same as the old G models, and according to the manual it does do DHCP reservations. I'm doing my homework this time!

Re: Recommend me a decent wireless router - 03/03/10 07:44 PM

Good to know, thx. I got a 54G2 recently for someone with only G devices. It was only something like $30, same case style, but it was lacking the DHCP Reservation button they show in the manual for that 610N. The 610N is $169.

I noticed the 120N has DHCP Reservation too, and it's only $50, it's not dual band though. If you have mixed speeds on the network, it will default to the lowest speed, whereas dual band, like the 610N or the Airport, will operate at N and B/G frequencies simultaneously.

If you have all N devices a single band like the 120N will do.