How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac

Posted by: rgn22

How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac - 11/10/09 08:44 AM

I am trying to create a VPN server on a Mac at my school (I'm a teacher) so I can access the network from home and print to our document server. I see how to connect to a VPN server from a Mac, but not how to set up a VPN server.

I do not have OS X Server, so I am looking for alternative ways to do that. I am fairly new to using Macs, especially their networking capabilities so if you can help, please try to give me all the details, including the simple ones.

Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac - 11/10/09 09:17 AM

This may help. It's a GUI for the built in VPN in regular OS X that OS X Server has a GUI for.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/10921477

HTH
Posted by: rgn22

Re: How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac - 11/11/09 05:16 AM

Thanks, I downloaded it and set it up. It is very straightforward, but I am still having trouble connecting. The Windows message is telling me that Windows is allowing the connection but a remote firewall is blocking the connection, and to make sure port 1723 is open. Could it be port 1723 on the Mac (where the VPN server is located). My Westell modem has a firewall but I logged in an all VPN connections are set up to passthrough.

How do you specifically open a port on a Mac?

Re: How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac - 11/11/09 05:31 AM

What version of X?

How are you hooked up at home. Is the Westell at home? Do you also have a router hooked to it if so?
Posted by: adot

Re: How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac - 11/11/09 04:19 PM

Does your school's IT department have a firewall in place?

Re: How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac - 11/11/09 05:14 PM

Ah yes, I was reading that opposite, home to work, thx. My bad.

Good idea BTW. That's what I meant. smirk
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac - 11/17/09 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By: rgn22
I am trying to create a VPN server on a Mac at my school (I'm a teacher) so I can access the network from home and print to our document server. I see how to connect to a VPN server from a Mac, but not how to set up a VPN server.

You shouldn't be setting up a VPN server on your school's network, the school should already have a VPN in place. Most likely they'll provide you with a client to connect with, and logon info. Once you log on, it's as if your machine is on the school network directly, and you can simply log into your mac or any other file server and transfer files as you need.
Posted by: neil

Re: How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac - 11/20/09 03:00 PM

And, to reiterate what Bryan is saying, if you are setting up something like this ... make sure that the IT dept for the school district knows in advance. That could save you (and them) a whole lot of heartache.

Thanks!

Neil
Posted by: RodneyP

Re: How do I set up a VPN server on a Mac - 05/07/12 02:46 PM

The easiest way to use the VPN Server Configurator. The program itself installs and configures the VPN Server. The user need only specify the planned number of connections. You can use it even with the dynamic IP. http://www.greenworldsoft.com