Airport Express or Extreme?

Posted by: John Rougeux

Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/03/09 07:28 AM

Our wireless router (Belkin or Linksys I think) is crapping out. Thinking about getting either the Express or Extreme.

I can get a refurbished APE for $85, a refurb extreme for $129, or even a 500GB dual band time capsule for $209.

The Time Capsule can be a time machine, correct?

What is the advantage of the extreme over an express?
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/03/09 07:38 AM

The AP Express has only one WAN port - no others. The Extreme has 3 ethernet ports in addition to the WAN port. The Time Capsule is intended as a Time Machine back up volume, although you can probably use it as a NAS as well. The Time Capsule looks to be an AP Extreme with a HD inside. BTW, I scored a new AP Extreme (802.11n) on eBay for $64.99 "Buy it now." I'm using it exclusively for streaming iTunes to my living room stereo - it is not connected to the internet.

Re: Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/03/09 07:47 AM

Yeah, I like the streaming music part. Tell me more about the stereo and how you have it streaming to it.

I'm not sure i need any ports as I can run both macs wirelessly.

Re: Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/03/09 07:52 AM

also, I assume that both are backwards compatible with g networks? The older iMac is g only.

Re: Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/03/09 07:56 AM

Mine is running at g because that's what my Mini has. The AP Express is plugged in to the AC outlet behind the stereo and a mini pin to L/R RCA cable connects it to the stereo. iTunes automagically sees the AP Express network. I did have to directly connect the Express via ethernet to my computer at first to configure the network.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/03/09 08:04 AM

Originally Posted By: John Rougeux
Yeah, I like the streaming music part. Tell me more about the stereo and how you have it streaming to it.
You launch iTunes and it streams to your stereo. smirk Apple only lets you stream iTunes but there is also something called Airfoil which will let you stream any audio to the stereo, from live365 or whatever so you're not locked into iTunes only.

Since you're also using the Airport for internet remember you'll need to have your modem near your stereo, or run the ethernet cable to the Airport near the stereo, or run the sound outputs of the Airport to the stereo.
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/06/09 01:32 PM

I have an older "flying saucer" Airport Extreme. Can this be done with it? Or is it just an Airport Express thing?

Re: Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/06/09 01:40 PM

I believe that it's only an Express feature.
Posted by: EzyriderTX

Re: Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/06/09 01:42 PM

OK just read up on it at Apple. Looks like if you want to stream music via AirTunes ya gotta have the Express. The Extrteme doesn't do it. I just got a new stereo system in my living room and I need this...and an Apple TV...and a Sony Bravia...and a...
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Airport Express or Extreme? - 11/06/09 01:53 PM

Glad I could help. grin

You can get the Express reasonable if you shop around. Even list price isn't bad for the entertainment factor.