Wireless issues redux

Posted by: MacBozo

Wireless issues redux - 10/06/09 01:07 PM

I upgraded my wife's mini to SL and it still fails to reconnect via AP to my wireless network on wake from sleep. At this point, I'm beginning to believe that it is the router that is not reconnecting when requested by her AP. My mini always reconnects to the AP Express (using for iTunes on the living room stereo) on waking. Just wondering if there are settings for the dLink router that I could adjust so that it might respond to her computer when needed to reestablish her connection on waking. Should I try reserving her IP to the router, or is there something else that could be adjusted?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Wireless issues redux - 10/06/09 08:21 PM

So she's not getting any bars, or is she getting bars but not connecting to the Internet?

Try the static DHCP setting for her computer in the d-link, or set her computer's Network settings to a static IP, make sure you put the router address in for the DNS server if you set the computer to static. If it's a no bars problem I doubt any of that would help though.

Re: Wireless issues redux - 10/07/09 08:36 AM

It's no bars. It simply does not reconnect on wake from sleep. It does connect right away on a reboot, though. Sometimes just turning AP off and then on will connect it, but not always.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Wireless issues redux - 10/07/09 09:28 PM

What if you set it for just one channel instead of automatic?

If it has anything like turbo turn it off, that only works if you have a dlink wifi card.

Maybe lock it in on g only.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Wireless issues redux - 10/08/09 04:56 AM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
It's no bars. It simply does not reconnect on wake from sleep. It does connect right away on a reboot, though. Sometimes just turning AP off and then on will connect it, but not always.

Exact same thing happened after upgrading to snow leopard here. No bars, just a new search pattern. Each bar would darken one after another like a marquee light. I could usually just go in the airport menu and select the right network. Restarting the Airport usually worked when it failed to connect.

Not sure what I did to fix it but it all went away after about two weeks.

Re: Wireless issues redux - 10/08/09 06:42 AM

It is locked on g only and no turbo. I'll have time to fool around with it tomorrow.

Re: Wireless issues redux - 10/08/09 06:44 AM

It was doing this in 10.5.8, too. No bars and no search pattern. It does "see" other nearby networks. Maybe if I switch the network from hidden to visible?
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Wireless issues redux - 10/08/09 04:15 PM

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-10370940-263.html

Re: Wireless issues redux - 10/10/09 12:48 PM

So far, having the wireless network visible seems to have helped. I've slept the Mini and waked it several times and it only failed to connect once - that was resolved simply by turning AP off and on. It does seem that the longer the Mini sleeps, the less likely it is to reconnect. It isn't much of an issue with me, but my wife simply expects it to work without her having to do anything extra.