How do I set up my AP Express?

Posted by: MacBozo

How do I set up my AP Express? - 09/30/09 12:00 PM

I got a new AP Express 802.11n model. I've tried connecting to it via Airport Utility and it will not show up. When I plug the unit in, it flashes green and then goes to yellow and then to yellow flashing. How do I get my MacMini to "see" it and connect so that I can configure it and stream my iTunes to it?
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: How do I set up my AP Express? - 09/30/09 12:31 PM

Hmmm... I don't even see "blinking Yellow" as a description...
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2610

Re: How do I set up my AP Express? - 09/30/09 12:37 PM

It's an error code as described in AP utility help. I'm thinking this unit is non-functional.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: How do I set up my AP Express? - 09/30/09 12:45 PM

I had one that went blinking yellow on me. A hard reset and a quick download of the update cured it.

[edit] search for "blinking yellow" apple airport. There are a lot of hits. Some say you get the blinking yellow when you do not have a valid IP address inserted.

I think I also remember having to hardware connect to the blinking yellow airport in order to change it. But try a hard reset. (Press and hold in reset button until rapid amber flash then let go.)
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: How do I set up my AP Express? - 09/30/09 12:53 PM

I got a new AP n and had a heck of a hard time setting things up, but the reason was that I had a couple of AP Express also running and had not reset them, so I was getting two different signals at the same time. Pushing the reset button on all of the APs, both the older Express and the new n solved the problem.

Re: How do I set up my AP Express? - 09/30/09 01:40 PM

I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Edit: It went right back to the blinking yellow.

Success! - 09/30/09 02:25 PM

Connected directly via ethernet to my Mac and was able to configure it. Now streaming iTunes wirelessly to the living room stereo system. cool
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Success! - 09/30/09 03:12 PM

It's neat, isn't it?!

Re: Success! - 09/30/09 03:23 PM

It doesn't seem to push Volume Logic settings over the Express. I wonder if the built in equalizer would affect the output.

Seems to be overdriving the receiver. Maybe I'll try different inputs.

Re: Success! - 09/30/09 03:41 PM

The built in equalizer seems to have an effect.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Success! - 09/30/09 04:00 PM

I'd guess that the base only streams what's coming out of iTunes, before the audio circuit, whereas VL is capturing iTunes output and then sending to the audio.

No more flashy thing?

Re: Success! - 09/30/09 04:04 PM

Oh, it's flashing, but only because it isn't connected to the internet.

I think I've tamed it - 09/30/09 05:54 PM

I turned down the boost/drive/preamp on the iTunes equalizer. The overdrive distortion is pretty much resolved.

Re: Success! - 10/04/09 05:14 PM

AP Utility finally came up with a prompt for me to tell the AP Express to ignore that it wasn't connected to the internet. Now, it is green.
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Success! - 10/04/09 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: MacBozo
AP Utility finally came up with a prompt for me to tell the AP Express to ignore that it wasn't connected to the internet. Now, it is green.
Ah yes, I think there's a setting for that buried in the setup too

Thx for the reminder.