Woot! Fancy free and wireless at work now ...

Posted by: JonnyCat

Woot! Fancy free and wireless at work now ... - 02/26/03 10:17 AM

gotta love two things<br><br>1) Being able to carry my iBook into work, pop open the lid and surf wirelessly at work and home<br><br>2) Having an IT guy that loves Macs. As usual, he made sure the iBook was working okay and set up the Winblows network accordingly.<br><br><br>Should be interesting to see how effortless I move from home to the office with zero configuration - just close the lid, go to the office, close the lid, return home. So far it's been working no problemo but I was wired at work until today!<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Woot! Fancy free and wireless at work now ... - 02/26/03 10:19 AM

What do they have at your job to allow you to surf wirelessly?<br><br>[color:red]Hold on, it's time for a </font color=red> <br>

Re: Woot! Fancy free and wireless at work now ... - 02/26/03 10:23 AM

don't know, it was something from Dell. A VP got a new Dell laptop (lucky guy ) and it came with a wireless access point as part of the package.<br><br>So they decided that it would be nice for visitors to be able to open their laptops and get connected to it to. The IT guy spent the morning setting it up so visitors can access the internet and print without having a password or special setup requirements.<br><br>I'm sure this wasn't an out of the box solution by the time he was finished.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Woot! Fancy free and wireless at work now ... - 02/26/03 11:19 AM

<em>I'm sure this wasn't an out of the box solution by the time he was finished.</em><br><br>heh, I should hope not! Giving access to internet, no big deal, but giving others access to your printers often implies a lot more insecurity, so setting it up so they can do that securely would probably take a little doing.<br><br>Sounds like a pretty cool system <br><br>neye<br><br>

Re: Woot! Fancy free and wireless at work now ... - 02/26/03 11:45 AM

ahh, just found out the wireless is on it's own subnet and all traffic is blocked to the in house wired network. So if I want to file share with my PC I have to plug my laptop in.<br><br>The printer in the conference room is also on the wireless subnet so you can only print to that one printer.<br><br>Seems like the simple and secure way of having an open wireless network without having to worry about hackers trying to access the in house LAN.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Woot! Fancy free and wireless at work now ... - 02/26/03 01:59 PM

absolutely. I've done essentially this at our own place of work, so I guess I'm on the right track <br><br>Didn't do the printer part, because I don't have many disposable printers, but that's an interesting idea.<br><br>neye<br><br>