Airport Express networking

Posted by: MacBozo

Airport Express networking - 01/23/09 07:38 AM

How would I incorporate an Airport Express into my current wireless home network. I'd like to stream my iTunes music to my stereo system from my Mini which is wired to my router (wife's Mini is wireless). AP is currently off in my Mini (would turning it on confuse the router?). Would I simply create a separate wireless network just for the Express?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Airport Express networking - 01/23/09 09:08 AM

You'll be fine. You can connect to the two separate networks at once, Ethernet and Airport. It will figure out where to go for Internet. Just don't set the Airport Express up for internet or to connect to the other network.
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Airport Express networking - 01/23/09 09:28 AM

Thanks! That was kinda my line of thinking. Now to justify spending the $79 for the refurbed Express at the online Apple Store. wink
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Airport Express networking - 01/23/09 10:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Reboot
Just don't set the Airport Express up for internet or to connect to the other network.

When I'm in my office, my school laptop is plugged into the ethernet network, but also has AP turned on and connected to the net. I've never had a problem with the double web connection, and when I bring the little lovely home, she engages the home wireless network automatically. Should I worry about having both paths to the web turned on at the same time?
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Airport Express networking - 01/23/09 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: yoyo52
Should I worry about having both paths to the web turned on at the same time?
Hardware-wise no. Actually, if one connection doesn't work, you have a second to fall back to, it will do it automagically.

The only problem might be in how you have your mail client set to send mail. If you try and send through one ISP while connected to a different one and are not using Authentication they may not let you send.
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Airport Express networking - 01/23/09 10:03 PM

I send mail through the mac.com server, and so far no problems.