File Sharing from Vista to OS X

Posted by: NucleusG4

File Sharing from Vista to OS X - 01/16/09 05:41 PM

Help!

My wife has lot's of Photos on her Vista computer that I want access to and can't seem to figure it out. I need step-by-step help in setting this up, please.
I want access to her photos so I can pull them over and put them in iPhoto so that we can see them in the living room on our AppleTV. I could just burn a disk... but then I would be doing that every time she shoots new pics.

I have searched several articles, but none seemed to make sense to me.

She's connected to the AEBT via ethernet and I'm wireless... though that shouldn't matter. I guess I need her workgroup name and user name and IP?
If so, I need to know where to get these items and where to plug them in.
If you know of an article that aptly describes this process... that would work for me.

Thanks.

Re: File Sharing from Vista to OS X - 01/16/09 06:18 PM

OK.. I have the following..

Computer Name
Workgroup Name

and IP address.

I have nothing showing in my Finder window when I try to access the Network.

Posted by: Jim_

Re: File Sharing from Vista to OS X - 01/16/09 09:12 PM

Have you enabled sharing on the photos folder on her computer?

Re: File Sharing from Vista to OS X - 01/19/09 08:55 AM

That's my next step I think... but ti's asking me to assign a new user or pick an existing one. What user name do I use? I tried the Dave-Bears-Mac-Pro.local name... no go.

What BS btw... in XP it was a simple as pie. Now... it's gotten harder on both sides...
Posted by: Jim_

Re: File Sharing from Vista to OS X - 01/19/09 09:05 AM

Originally Posted By: NucleusG4
That's my next step I think... but ti's asking me to assign a new user or pick an existing one. What user name do I use? I tried the Dave-Bears-Mac-Pro.local name... no go.
You mean Vista is asking for a user name? Use the user name that is associated with her photos folder if so.

Also that long user name for the Mac has been know to cause problems with sharing, and other things. I don't know why OS X still wants to use such long names. Try MacPro.local or something like that. Reboot after changing the name, I've seen where that sometimes is needed to get the name to propagate correctly to other machines. After starting sharing on the PC, reboot both also if her folder still doesn't show up.
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: File Sharing from Vista to OS X - 08/27/09 02:39 PM

I see I'm months late reading this post, but why on earth?

Doesn't Apple TV sync to Vista's "My Pictures"? Or is there an option to use it as a media extender?

For example, I just enable sharing in windows media center and the PS3 sees them, and plays them on the HDTV.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: File Sharing from Vista to OS X - 09/24/09 11:32 AM

I too have now the same problem with Snow Leopard.

Before upgrading to Snow Leopard I had all the computers successfully networked. MacBook via Airport/wifi (Leopard), Athlon tower via ethernet (WinXP) and the spouse's laptop via wifi (WinXP).

I had all the shares enabled in Leopard and with the sharing accounts from the windows machines and could see everything that was shared on every computer.

Now, after upgrading to Snow Leopard, I can see and get to the shared folders on the MacBook from both windows machines, but in Snow Leopard the network shows up empty. Nada. No changes other than the upgrade to Snow Leopard and everything under the Network settings seem to be the same, so I bet it is pretty safe to assume the culprit is Snow Leopard and that something has changed underneath with the networking.
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: File Sharing from Vista to OS X - 09/24/09 12:16 PM

I had the XP machines in the 'recent servers' and I grabbed it from there. Gave a username and password and voilá, I'm in.

Re: File Sharing from Vista to OS X - 10/05/09 05:58 PM

That's a good question. I am syncing the Apple TV with my Mac....can it sync with the PC at the same time?
I assumed not...