Xserve at the Apple Store?

Posted by: polymerase

Xserve at the Apple Store? - 10/30/08 09:38 AM

I need a new Xserve so I check a Mac site or two and they came out with new ones in January that are twice as fast. That's good I guess I don't need to worry they will come out with cheaper faster ones tomorrow.<br><br>But then I go to the Apple store and log in as a dot edu and try to get a price and they won't list brand new Xserves. Only refurbs. That only happens the day before they come out with a new one or am I missing something?<br><br>When I am not in the educational store they are listed and you can configure. I want 4GB memory and 1TB in the first drive. (I can put 2x 1TBs in the next two drives when I need them.)<br>[color:blue]specs:<br>One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (quad-core)<br>4GB (4x1GB)<br>On-board SATA/SAS Controller<br>1TB Serial ATA ADM @ 7200-rpm<br>ATI Radeon X1300 64MB SDRAM with VGA Adapter<br>8x SuperDrive DL DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)<br>None (with PCI-X riser)<br>Single 750W Power Supply<br>Rack Mounting Kit - Square Hole Rack<br></font color=blue><br>All for $3,749.00<br><br>Is that a deal? I need to buy this tonight as my original Xserve which is the fist one they sold is dying.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Xserve at the Apple Store? - 10/30/08 09:45 AM

According to MacRumors:<br><br>Product Xserve<br>Recommendation: Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle<br>Last Release January 08, 2008<br><br><br>So, it may be updated soon. Doing a search on the regular Apple store shows this in the business section<br>http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/browse/home/shop_mac/family/xserve<br><br>Quad-core or 8-core:<br>Up to 3.0GHz<br> <br>XServe<br>Start building your Xserve with our suggested configuration:<br>2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Harpertown” processor<br>1600MHz frontside bus and 12MB L2 cache<br>2GB memory (800MHz DDR2 fully buffered DIMM ECC)<br>80GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA hard drive1<br>Built-in graphics with 64MB RAM<br>Mac OS X Server v10.5 Leopard Unlimited-Client Edition<br>Ships: Within 24hrs<br>Free Shipping<br>$2,999.00 <br><br>A search on the educational section came up with nothing.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Xserve at the Apple Store? - 10/30/08 11:07 AM

I'm starting to get that feeling that Apple might come out with a new one any day. I just hate to buy the day before they upgrade it. The fact that they are not listed at all inside the educational store is suspicious.<br><br>Maybe I will spend some time banging on the old one to see if I can get it to live for a couple more weeks but I really need a new one as of last week.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Xserve at the Apple Store? - 10/30/08 11:48 AM

IIRC, there are different ways to log into the edu store, if you back out and start fresh ("choose your institution").<br><br>Is it possible that certain products--like servers--are only listed if you say you're an admin or IT person (or whatever), but not if you say you're a student or instructor?<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>STROGG: Change We Can Believe In<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Xserve at the Apple Store? - 10/30/08 12:47 PM

Ah, Apple has probably left a cookie identifying me as ignorant faculty and I would not know what a server is. Meanwhile I have found kass and windows server hogging up the CPU on my old Xserve. Once I figure out how to put the kobosh on that I might not need one today.<br><br><br><br><br>