AirPort Frustration

Posted by: OneTraveler

AirPort Frustration - 02/17/03 09:31 PM

Can anyone help me? I have been using a small AirPort network in my home for a long time without problems. I received my new iMac today and have had a great time playing with it....except for one strange thing: it will not let me connect to my network. The new iMac has an AirPort Extreme card, and I am using the same Snow Airport Base station that I always have. The Setup assistant "sees" the network, but when I type the password to join, I am told it is incorrect (it's not). I have since reset the base station and changed the password...still, I am told I have the wrong password. Funny thing...it works on my PowerBook when I check things out. WHat's going on, and how can I fix it?!!<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: AirPort Frustration - 02/18/03 12:59 AM

Hvae you tried connecting with no password set just as an experiment?<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman<br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: AirPort Frustration - 02/18/03 04:11 AM

So it's the airport extreme card in your iMac that is not recognizing the password?<br><br>Try calling Apple..could be a bad card.<br><br>
Posted by: OneTraveler

Re: AirPort Frustration - 02/18/03 10:36 AM

Tried a blank password...no good.<br><br>Yes, it is the iMac Extreme card not gaining access...if the card was bad...would it even see my network?<br><br>
Posted by: Beniitec

Re: AirPort Frustration - 02/18/03 11:26 AM

Most likely that it isn't hardware in this case. Try the easy stuff...I would make sure the firmware is updated on the base station and that you have the latest versions on the airport sw. Extreme may require that. Dump the prefs (plist) on the imac...etc. <br><br>Ben<br><br>
Posted by: bookrat

Re: AirPort Frustration - 02/19/03 04:11 AM

I wish I wrote down some of the things I did when I had trouble.<br><br>Your problems sounds similar to the time I brought back a 2nd hand ABS. I had reset the password and was able to gain access with my hardware. However, as soon as I changed the settings and restarted the ABS I would not be able to logon or access the ABS - getting the dreaded "incorrect password" dialogue. IIRC it had something to do with the encryption but I can't remember which end of things. <br><br>Sorry this isn't of much help but just to throw in my 2c to make sure you've tried different settings on either end.<br><br>