Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question.

Posted by: Jim_

Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question. - 08/11/08 06:38 PM

I have ATT due to the fact that Verizon hobbles their phones. I don't know all the details but I know they do so I have ATT. I have ran into iSync syncing problems for example with Verizon, but that's not what this about.<br><br>A friend is interested in one of these --------------> iPhone take off. They are locked into the contract, and don't need the iPhone data plan, use Macs but have PC access.<br><br>Their biggest need is for a handheld digital image portfolio, and need the 3.2 to take pictures of their work. They do makeup for video, face painting, body painting, and FX stuff, and need to take pictures of their current job and have immediate access to their digital portfolio when doing sales.<br><br>My question is getting the 3.2 megapixel images off of the phone and getting images to it.<br><br>I know verizon hobbles ringtone access, but I have heard of limitations with high res photo transfer too. You can transfer the low res easily, but not the high res. Is that still true? My understanding is you need to upload them to somewhere, incurring data usage charges, and then download them to your computer if you want to archive the high res version. I don't need iPhoto compatibility, I know how to copy files from a phone hierarchy folder structure, I just need for them to let me do it. On my Razr I can just connect with Bluetooth like it's a Finder window, navigate to the pictures folder and copy over.<br><br>With my non-hobbled ATT I can transfer files at will and set any ringtone I made that is in the proper format, but I am under the impression Verizon sucks in this matter. On their lesser model LG I tried doing a custom ringtone and had no luck. I downloaded it to songs, and sounds, but could not choose it like I can on my ATT phone.<br><br>Thx for any iDeers.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game
Posted by: zwei

Re: Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question - 08/11/08 07:00 PM

I have at&t ..so I don't know anything about Verizon's hobbling. One method I could think of for getting images TO the phone would be to turn on Web sharing on the Mac and throwing the images into the sites folder. Then, all you would need to do is get on the internet and open the webpage. If they are behind a router you'd have to forward internet port traffic to that specific machine ...I think. Sending photos from the phone to the Mac is something I don't have any idea about!<br><br>I used the above method with my phone when I wanted to put a theme on my phone ...they blocked sending themes/ringtones in MMS messages so you'd have to buy them from the at&t store ...bastiges <br><br>zweisoft<br>
Posted by: Mike

Custom Ringtones w/Verizon - 08/12/08 04:21 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>On their lesser model LG I tried doing a custom ringtone and had no luck.<p><hr></blockquote><p>I'm using one of those lesser LG phones, and I'm locked in to a two-year contract with Verizon. <br> I have not tried transferring hi-res images to my phone but I've created a few custom ringtones by using myxer. <br>You'd have to create your account with them after which you can create your own tones and/or wallpapers or use one of theirs. For some strange reason I can't simply send their ringtones to my phone; as you said: Verizon won't let me.<br> I got around this by creating a 'snippet' of the song I want as a ringtone with QuickTime Pro, save it as a '.mov' file, then convert it to a '.mp3' by using 'AudialHub' but I think 'Audacity' will work also.<br>I then uploaded it to 'Myxer', customized the length and loudness (I chose 'louder' as the desired level, it worked better!), and saved it. <br>Getting it on my phone involved downloading the customized ringtone and e-mailing it to my phone (use the nine-digit phone number plus @vzwpix.com).<br>After receiving and listening to it I get an option to save it as a ringtone on my phone. <br>I don't know if Myxer works with hi-res images...<br><br><br>[color:blue][/b]Hodie mihi. Cras tibi.</font color=blue>[/b]
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question. - 08/12/08 09:44 AM

The answer to your question is in the specifications on Verizon's site you linked to:<br><br>Bluetooth®<br><br> * Send all Contacts & Calendar Events via Bluetooth<br> * Print & Send User–Generated Pictures (JPEG) via Bluetooth<br><br>Plus the phone has a removeable memory card. Verizon can't hobble the phone, and traditionally phones with removable memory cards they haven't tried to. For instance, while my RAZR model doesn't allow bluetooth transfers of photos with unhacked firmware, other models do.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question - 08/12/08 11:03 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Print & Send User–Generated Pictures (JPEG) via Bluetooth<p><hr></blockquote><p>I've heard you can't send the high res, they want you to use their data plan to upload it. Might be a nasty rumor.<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>For instance, while my RAZR model doesn't allow bluetooth transfers of photos with unhacked firmware, other models do.<p><hr></blockquote><p>That's what I mean, with my ATT RAZR I can transfer photos via Bluetooth. The phone mounts like a hard drive on my desktop, or I can use the removable memory card,<br><br>She's going to go ahead and get it, she has 30 days to send it back if it doesn't do what she wants.<br><br>Thanks all.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question - 08/12/08 11:44 AM

AFAIK you can't send higher resolution photos than 800x600 over the network, but that may have changed.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question - 08/12/08 04:52 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>AFAIK you can't send higher resolution photos than 800x600 over the network, but that may have changed.<p><hr></blockquote><p>No, it hasn't changed. With a Verizon RAZR you can take high resolution photos but you can do nothing with them. Verizon's service cannot handle them and with an unhacked software phone you cannot get them off the phone.<br><br>Did I mention Verizon sucks?<br><br>

Re: Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question - 08/12/08 07:04 PM

Thanks for the confirmation. Does that include if the phone has a removable SD card? I wonder if the pics can be saved to the card then the can be removed and read in a card reader.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question - 08/13/08 07:14 AM

No, any phone with a removable card can use a card reader.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question - 08/13/08 07:25 AM

Perhaps we should clarify that you can't send them in a pix message - because you can email the pictures if you have the right phone. My wife has emailed me a lot of pictures off her blackberry, and at full resolution. <br><br>She also can transfer them on or off the phone with usb (dont' have bluetooth on the computer so I can't say if bluetooth transfer works or not).<br><br>Reboot, I've read a review of the Dare at Gizmodo and yes, you can transfer photos/music to and from the phone. It even plays AAC files off itunes (not DRM files from the store though).<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!®

Re: Verizon wireless peeps, file transfer question - 08/13/08 01:35 PM

Thx, I'll checkout Gizmodo.<br><br>'preciate it.<br><br><br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game