Airport flaking out

Posted by: Jashue

Airport flaking out - 07/31/08 07:57 AM

For the last few days I've been having a few issues with my wireless network. <br><br>I first noticed that my internet connection seemed slower than usual, and for a while I was doing the usual-- blaming the forum software at MM. But when I other web pages began to load at an uncharacteristic rate I began to realize that it might be a problem on my end. <br><br>I was about to call Time Warner when yesterday, after ripping about five CDs to my Mac I transferred them to my Apple TV in the other room so that I could play the music locally. The transfer took hours. With an 802.11N connection it shouldn't have taken any more than a few minutes (the distance between the MBP, APE and ATV is a radius of less than 10 feet when everything reported here has taken place).<br><br>Just now I tried streaming some music from the MBP to the ATV and the signal kept cutting out.<br><br>I went poking around for some utility to see if I could resolve the issue on my own, but I don't really know what I'm doing. I D/L's a program called iStumbler, and it's telling my Airport has a signal of 75% and a noise level of 9%. Not sure what this means, but it doesn't sound good.<br><br>So many variables... first I thought it was a problem with the cable... then the Mac.... then the Apple TV... now the Airport Extreme... <br><br>Dunno...<br><br>
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Airport flaking out - 07/31/08 09:31 AM

You may be getting interference from another router near you.<br>Try changing the channel your router is broadcasting some routers use channel six as default try channel 11 or 3<br><br>
Posted by: margadagio

Re: Airport flaking out - 07/31/08 09:56 AM

I had a similar problem just a couple of weeks ago. By simply changing the channel I fixed the problem.<br><br>
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Airport flaking out - 07/31/08 11:37 AM

Hmmm.... I'm picking up no signs of any other wireless router near me.<br><br>And I have the chanal set to "automatic." Shouldn't that mean that the computer will seek out the best connection? I'll see if changing it helps.<br><br>Thanks, Swatcat and Marge.<br><br>btw, Swatcat-- You're avatar is broken <br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Airport flaking out - 07/31/08 01:42 PM

The signal/noise ratio you posted seems fine, however that's only one way, probably the signal you're getting from the router. <br><br>Can it read the signal from your mac to the airport base? That signal is usually weaker, though in terms of transmission it's not as important except when uploading.<br><br>It can seem odd how the signals attenuate. I've got two identical routers talking to each other over bridge to pick up slack for the wii's weak signal. You'd think each one would read equal signal strength (dd-wrt firmware I use shows you the s/n ratio), but it's not the case. It's also interesting how the slightest adjustment to the antenna greatly affects the signal strength.<br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Airport flaking out - 07/31/08 02:26 PM

Interference isn't just from other WiFi devices, but from any 2.4 Ghz device. That potentially includes:<br><br>* Bluetooth<br>* RF mice (Logitech for instance)<br>* Cordless phones (many are 2.4)<br>* Microwave ovens<br><br>My 2.4 Ghz interference got so bad (from neighbors, not my own interference) that I had to go to WiFi n wideband 5Ghz. Problem solved!<br><br>Before it got that bad, I had some luck with changing channels and relocating the base station.<br><br>Software updates can also affect reception: my 5Ghz reception was spotty until the latest update! Now it's much better.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Airport flaking out - 07/31/08 04:43 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>after ripping about five CDs to my Mac I transferred them to my Apple TV in the other room so that I could play the music locally.<p><hr></blockquote><p>What is the the first two sets of numbers for your IP address on the AppleTV and the MBP? For example, 10.0.x.x.<br><br>I'm trying to determine if you're using the local connection to transfer or going out to the Internet and back.<br><br>Along with the other good suggestions here, next time it seems slow to connect to websites try different DNS servers first, enter 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in Network preferences, hit Apply. You didn't give the specifics but I figure you're on 10.5 something, so enter the number as 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220, comma space between. If 10.4 hit a Return between them.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game