Did my router die?

Posted by: MacBozo

Did my router die? - 05/05/08 07:06 PM

Lost internet connectivity and cannot access the router via my browser. Now connected directly to the cable modem. I've rebooted everything, reset the router, reset the modem to no avail. I've tried accessing the router via both the default IP and the IP I had assigned to it. Still nothing. Both the built in ethernet on my G4 and the AP in the mini are setting self-assigned IPs when connected to the router. I have internet connectivity when directly connected to the modem. Should I go router shopping?<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Did my router die? - 05/05/08 07:48 PM

Yeah, that would be my guess. <br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Did my router die? - 05/05/08 08:16 PM

If you did a factory reset on the router and can't connect to it when you have Ethernet set to DHCP it's gone.<br><br>Don't you have a wireless card in the G4? If so and the G4 is on all the time you can set it to share the connection you get over Ethernet to Airport, and the Mini can use that for it's Airport. Turn your G4 into a router. Turn on the firewall, third button down, Set Access..., and I believe you have to turn on Web Sharing too.<br><br>The router had a short life, you just got that didn't you?<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Did my router die? - 05/06/08 05:17 AM

No AP card in the G4. Yes, I believe the router is within its 90 day warranty.<br><br>Also having printing issues - as in not printing. I shut the machine down overnight, because it was taking a looong time to boot up and my wife needed to get to sleep. I booted it up this AM and simply waited it out - over 10 minutes to come completely up. I'll be running DW and TechTool Pro shortly.<br><br>I'll have to find the packaging and documentation (sales slip) for the router and trot off to Best Buy later.<br><br>[edit]The printing issue appears to be application specific to one app/document<br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MacBozo on 05/06/08 08:34 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Did my router die? - 05/06/08 07:53 AM

If the router is bad that would probably stop network connections to the printer too.<br><br>------>#1 - JD's Trivia game<br><br>------>#2 - MM-MCF Trivia game

Re: Did my router die? - 05/06/08 08:00 AM

The printer is USB - shared from my G4. It was the app that I was using - an older version that launches faster and renders faster than the "new and improved" version. Printed just fine from the newer version.<br><br>I'll be off to Best Buy for an exchange/credit towards a new router. I think I'll get an 802.11n router (even though the mini is g) just in case I can afford to upgrade to a newer computer later this year.<br><br>