AirPort Utility Q

Posted by: Nagromme

AirPort Utility Q - 04/10/08 11:45 PM

Got my Time Capsule. The CD automatically upgraded my iMac to WiFi N and now the Internet FLIES! I had no problem with the former speed, and I know DSL shouldn't saturate WiFi G, but I must have had so much interference on G that the jump to 5Ghz/wide is actually great for the Internet.<br><br>Anyway, during the setup it raised a security warning that the device was set to "allow configuration by ethernet WAN port." I thought--sure, maybe someday I will want to configure it vie ethernet, and told it to ignore that problem.<br><br>Then afterwords I realized it had said "WAN port" and not "LAN port" - and now I want to change my mind! I want to turn that off, rather than ignoring the issue.<br><br>Question:<br><br>Where the heck is that setting? I search for it in AirPort Utility, and it IS found... but takes me to a screen that has no such option.<br><br>TIA<br><br>(Off now to set up Time Machine.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 06:45 AM

I ended up configuring it from scratch using the wizard. (Twice, since for some reason the first time ignored my choice of WPA2, and left my network unsecured.)<br><br>Getting 5GB a second LAN copies so far--which is 10x the speed I got with WiFi G Still, AppleInsider was getting 30GB an hour over N (5GHz wide) so I'll see what I can tweak.<br><br>EDIT: it IS much faster now, after changing that WAN configuration setting. Probably unrelated, but maybe the unit chose a better channel for itself when it rebooted. I got 4GB copied in just a couple minutes now WiFi N is not the main reason I got TC, but I'm liking it!<br><br>The connection is much more stable than I ever got on G, too (due to 2.4Ghz being really crowded). That means I can do Folding@Home again <br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Nagromme on 04/11/08 10:02 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 07:02 AM

at 30 GB an hour, I wouldn't sit between the devices unless I wanted to warm up my pancreas. <br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.
Posted by: polymerase

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 08:25 AM

30GB an hour is 8.33 mb per second. That is my top end for hard wired stuff on a 1GB backbone which is supposed to be the latest and greatest. I guess wireless is no longer the weakest link.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 11:03 AM

Yeah, AI said N/wide was giving them close to 1000baseT Ethernet speed. I won't expect to get that ideal (and I'm not) but I am getting a lot better than G!<br><br>The Time Machine backup function isn't working--it failed after several hours (about 1/3 of the way through the backup) and won't start again. The network seems fine, so I fear it may be bad disk. We'll see. I'll mess with it more later.<br><br>Ditto for wireless printing: I can see the printer in Printer Setup, but I can't Add it for use. Error -9672, which is apparently pretty generic. Maybe my Epson C86 is unsupported but I haven't found a list--and it's only 3-4 years old, still supported by OS X's included drivers and utilities.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 11:27 AM

My one machine i have tried Time machine keeps failing also. It will either work for a week or it goes straight into failure mode which is backing up a small amount of the disk and dying. Still a proof of concept since I have other backup in place but it is annoying. I am using an on board SATA drive which should be the most straight forward. Not.<br><br>

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 11:48 AM

That's good to know--if multiple people are getting that error (which is the case--a minority no doubt, but I'm not alone) then it may not be any problem with my network or drive--it may just need an update from Apple.<br><br>Which makes me contemplate the trouble they've had making wireless backups work with USB drives....<br><br>Meanwhile I'm reformatting the TC drive just for good measure.<br><br>Anyway, I just did a range test of G vs. N. The "walk until the music stops" test. As AI led me to expect, N does have a shorter range than G--but not bad. I got maybe 100 feet with N, whereas with G I got probably 200 feet. (In both cases, this is thought a LOT of walls. Like a dozen heavy apartment walls and three elevator shafts!)<br><br>When I'm at the outer edge, I can't connect--but I can STAY connected if I already was.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 02:38 PM

I've found one or two KB's at Apple, "if your backup hangs do X and Y" I do X and Y, reformat the backup drive with my thumb stuck in my ear and still hangs. Yes, I'm waiting for an update.<br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 04:03 PM

"walk until the music stops"<br><br>What are you using to gauge this?<br><br>I used my iPhone which is not N but tried it with my Linksys on G and with my APE on mixed B/G/N and got the same distance from my house on both accounts... the far side of my next door neighbors sidewalk.<br>So it seemed to put out the same G signal whether stright G on the Linksys or mixed on the APE Base Station.<br><br>

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 04:34 PM

I misstated: N doesn't have a different range... N allows you to use 5GHz, which does. (And 5GHz in turn allows wide channels, with a nice performance boost.)<br><br>My backup is going again--but it's no longer as fast as it had been, for whatever reason. (The transfer, that is. Browsing is still nice and fast.)<br><br>My "walk until the music stops" test refers to the voice singing in our heads. You get that too, right? (In my head, it sings a song about streaming iTunes so you can hear when the connection drops. I can walk some distance even when it's no longer showing any bars.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/11/08 07:23 PM

Well... at least the voice in your head stops singing....<br><br>

Re: AirPort Utility Q - 04/13/08 12:33 AM

Don't know what was wrong, but after reformatting I never saw that error again. The Air backed up pretty fast wirelessly--a couple of hours for 45 GB. The iMac (360G B) I did over Ethernet in the hopes of dodging some intermittent WiFi dropouts, if any. (But I really don't think I'm getting any.)<br><br>The formatting itself did go oddly: the Mac went to sleep in the middle (is that OK? you'd think the Mac would NOT sleep if it's not OK) and when it woke the Airport Utility progress bar was stuck at 75%. Was the format complete? Nobody knows! So I quit (it wasn't hung or anything) and reformatted again--but without the zero option (so it was quick). I'd have liked to zero the whole drive, and maybe I didn't--maybe the reformat stopped when it got to a bad part of the disk and I will suffer later... but I decided not to wait another 10 years for another zero-format.<br><br>I found my printer on a UNofficial list of supported printers, but haven't found an official list. For now I won't worry about it--I'll print wirelessly through my PowerBook a.k.a. file server.<br><br>PS, renaming a folder seems to back it up entirely from scratch again. May as well turn TC OFF while doing major file reorganization!<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net