Airport Card

Posted by: Bruno

Airport Card - 03/09/08 02:04 PM

On the advice of Jashue, I decided to register here to seek help for my Mac releated issues as they present themselves.<br><br>I recently purchased an Airport Express base station only to find that it won't run on my iMac (800 mHz G4 iMac) running OS X 10.3.9. <br><br>What's worse is that under the detailed System profile screen, I see that there is no evidence that there is an airport card on this machine (under airport card, it says "no information found"). Jashue has virtually the same model iMac, and he told me that his came with a card. If it has one, it would say so, right? When did airport cards come standard on Macs? <br><br>A new machine is not in my immediate future-- I might be a year away. I just want to be able to get internet access on my wife's iBook (work provided). <br><br>
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 02:22 PM

802.11b was an option on your iMac. You could try to find a card for it on eBay. <br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 02:25 PM

The cards are only $50 at Apple now. But, isn't that the dome, lamp, iMac he's talking about. I think that would be a hellion to try and install a card in. Don't know that fer sure, though.<br><br>OOps! I'm wrong about Apple having them. But I found one on eBay and Google has others for $79/$89<br><br>http://tinyurl.com/29ndzm<br><br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by starmillway on 03/09/08 05:31 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: Bruno

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 02:31 PM

Lampshade Model--- yep<br><br>

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 02:31 PM

I was thinking those soccer ball iMacs are a nightmare to crack. I think he could also get buy with a usb airport doodad, but they are more money. <br><br>Maybe sell the iLamp on eBay, and use that money and airport money to buy a modern computer?<br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 02:58 PM

He's not going to get a modern computer just yet (but boy will he be glad when the time comes!).<br><br>The advice I gave him today was to bite the bullet and get a time capsule. It has a lan port so that he may connect directly to the router (no airport needed), plus he'll have an external drive on which to back stuff up (albeit manually), which is never a bad idea. <br><br>When he gets a new computer, he'll get to enjoy the fruits of Time Machine. <br><br>Sound advice? <br><br>

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 03:19 PM

I dunno. There are a lot of G5 iMacs out there for the same money as a Time Capsule. Then he's have his wifi and a lot of other stuff. Then he could pick up an external drive for low money, sell the iLamp, and be running smoothly. <br><br><br>The Bill of Rights doesn't grant us our rights, it merely enumerates them.
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 03:40 PM

I thought about that. But by his own admission, he'll be shelling out the dough for a brand spanking new machine in a year or so. I thought that he might better just purchase this very important peripheral rather than get a machine that might not be supported before too long (a G5). <br><br>Unless I'm mistaken, he doesn't do back ups (big mistake-- are you reading this Bruno?) and it would be a shame if he lost all the pix and movies of those terrific kids of his (are you reading this, Bruno ). <br><br>The again, all this could be an incidence of transference. I myself long for a Time Capsule (or at least an external HD that would play nice with my APE and Time Machine. It could be that I'm superimposing my needs upon his. Ya think?<br><br>Nah.... He should be doing backups of some sort. And the Time Capsule wont soon become obsolete!<br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 04:38 PM

I think that would be a hellion to try and install a card in. <br><br>I have one sitting on my dr table right now that I'm trying to sell. It's no biggie to access the AP card slot/ram.<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 04:45 PM

Should you decide to buy an Airport card for your iMac, the installation process is quite simple. Removal of the user access panel will expose the Airport and RAM slot. Simply install the card and replace the access panel. You will need a #0 Phillips screwdriver, generally found in those commonly available jeweler's screwdriver sets.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 05:55 PM

Sounds like it doesn't have an Airport card in there. Assuming you have a wireless router already set up in your home, you could get one of these to connect to your wireless network. It connects to the Ethernet port and then connects wirelessly to your wireless router. <br><br>Do you have a wireless router?<br><br>

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 07:02 PM

Well, I'll be darned! Too bad that info won't do mine any good. It is just a worthless doorstop!<br><br>
Posted by: NucleusG4

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 07:15 PM

Are you sure?<br><br>

Re: Airport Card - 03/09/08 07:22 PM

Yes! I took it in to a Mac Store to get diagnosed. It needed a new 15 inch screen, and two other things that came to around $850. They were selling for that on eBay at the time. Up to that Mac in time, I had never bought Apple Care. Every Mac since, I've bought Apple Care. I used it too on the next iMac 17 inch. Got more than my money's worth.<br><br><br><br>But thanks to your question, it just triggered my memory. I've been trying to find a book I bought on making iMovies. I know that I put the sheets of paper giving the estimate in that iMovie book. I thought maybe I gave the iMove book to grandkids, but now am sure I didn't. If I could just visualize where the dang thing is . . . I'd love to have the book.<br><br>
Posted by: markjos

Re: Airport Card - 03/10/08 06:24 AM

As others have said, eBay would be your best bet for locating an Airport card for your iMac because they're no longer in production. (Be aware that you need the original Apple Airport card (802.11b) and not the newer Airport Express card which won't work.) The cards on eBay are used, and fifty bucks seems to be the norm. Also, you don't need the Airport card adapter that comes with some of these cards, so don't pay extra for one of those. And as far as installation, check page 32 of this User Guide.<br><br>Good luck! <br><br><br>Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral.<br><br>Robert Orben (1927- )