Wireless Internet Services

Posted by: Topper

Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 08:19 AM

A PC friend of mine would like to get wireless internet service.<br>She is looking at Verizon at a cost of $60 per month.<br>Is Verizon a good way wireless internet service provider?<br>Is there a wireless internet service provider that is cheaper than $60?<br><br>She is also worried about viruses. Any thoughts on that?<br><br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 08:24 AM

Of course she should should worry about viruses, she has a PC.<br><br>The ISP has nothing to do with a PC's vulnerability to malware.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: MicMeister

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 08:58 AM

Well, tell her to make sure she has a firewall -- either on a DSL/Cable modem hardware, or software, and a virusscan. Personally I haven't had a single virus on my PC thus far. Actually, I have been lucky enough not to get hit by a single virus ever. (and it probably will happen soon enough, as I just jinxed myself. )<br><br>I'd be more concerned about the security of the wireless itself in her behalf. Lot of people run their Wi-Fis without any encryption leaving them vulnerable for more than just somebody 'stealing' their bandwidth.<br><br>

And... - 02/10/08 09:27 AM

How does the speed of wireless internet compare to DSL or Cable internet?<br><br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 09:30 AM

Is there anything she can do about the wireless security?<br>Just use a firewall, right?<br><br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 09:46 AM

Yes, find out if the wireless signal, itself, is encrypted.<br><br><br>
Posted by: starmillway

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:09 AM

Topper,<br><br>I had Verizon a long time. I think it tops out at 3Mbps / 768 Kbps. Cable [ Comcast for me ] is 6 o 8 Mbps and blazing! I love it. I don't have a lot of people around me so I suppose I am getting exclusive use sometimes <br><br>Verizon plans differ in other areas of the US. Ordering exclusively by internet can sometimes get you bonsus stuff. You 'chat' via a window with the agent. Worked for signing up my son.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Comcast - 02/10/08 11:14 AM

Comcast cable in Oregon [prices vary]<br><br>The plans are for 'subscribers' [already have some other Comcast service such as phone or cable TV] or non-subscribers. I am a non-subscriber. Have DirectTV and Verizon phone.<br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:24 AM

Best thing is probably to just set up the WPA encryption on the wireless router as soon as the Wi-Fi network is up and running and she has access on her computer. Same with an Airport network, I wouldn't run one without encryption. And for the WEP encryption, Akula, for one, would probably confirm that WEP can be hacked quite easily (I can't, but I'm no hacker, haven't even tried). And yes, use a firewall from the get go.<br><br>Personally, I've been running Zyxel's P660HW-D1 DSL modem/firewall/NAT/Wi-Fi&ethernet router combo for about a year now and been quite happy about it. My girlfriend's laptop is on it wirelessly on WPA encryption and my W2k box via ethernet. And no, the firewall is not running on the default out-of-the-box setup completely, though that would probably be adequate for most purposes too. That kind of all-in-one combo would probably be the easiest and most hassle-free setup for your friend as well.<br><br>EDIT: If it's cable, then there are for instance these from Zyxel. Not sure what the ISPs give out there included in the service, but what my dsl provider gave on the deal, was quite crappy. Yeah, it was a similar combo thingy I got now, but it had too many issues and problems and I found it to just plain suck.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by MicMeister on 02/10/08 02:31 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:25 AM

Does she want to be totally wireless - no cable connection, no modem to be tethered to? My wife's niece and nephew-in-law had their laptop here a few weeks ago with a wireless access PCMCIA card that connected via their cell service. Is that what she's aiming for?<br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:29 AM

Thanks for both posts.<br>Cable is awfully expensive if you don't plan on including cable tv.<br>I've got Comcast also. Very fast.<br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:31 AM

I just got done talking with her.<br>I think she is backing away from wireless internet. <br>It now appears that she will go for DSL or Cable.<br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:31 AM

I was wondering if he mean wireless like maybe satellite connection that Shel has in Washington State boondocks!<br><br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:34 AM

Good for her. The wireless broadbands at least here just cost a lot and are actually quite slow speedwise at the moment. So that means, they are overpriced in my book.<br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:36 AM

I'm using WPA2 encryption on my home wireless network. I simply bought a wireless router, connected it to the cable modem, connected my G4 to one of the e'net ports, and set up my wife's Mini to connect via her AP card. I also set up the wireless network to be invisible to other users. In order to connect, you'd need the name of the network and the password.<br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:39 AM

Shel/iRock has satellite and I believe it is expensive. I had a local WiFi plan and it was slower than moleasses and expensive! Had an antenna on top my house but not a clear shot at their broadcast antenna. Finally gave up.<br><br>I just wanted the novelty. I like playing around with ISP and different connections. Think I finally got one I like though. Stickin with comcast.<br><br>Test just now:<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>Proffessor Sean usually gets the highest speed tests of anyone around here! <br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by starmillway on 02/10/08 02:40 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:42 AM

I am one of the very first to get Comcast in my area. <br>I have zero complaints about the speed and connection.<br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:42 AM

Yep, luckily it's made rather simple to setup. However, in my building, and/or the neighbouring building, there were at least 2-3 unprotected wireless networks in range and we used to cop access while waiting for our service to get up and running after moving here in autumn. And at least one of them was still even using the default name of the manufacturer, 'Thomson'.<br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:45 AM

You live in the boondocks too? <br><br>They just got around to cabling your area?<br><br>Good for you and congrats.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:49 AM

No, sorry, I'm saying that I've had Comcast for a very long time with no complaints. <br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 11:51 AM

There are two other networks nearby. One is locked, but visible to my wife's Mini and the other is unprotected and is simply named, NETGEAR.<br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/10/08 12:04 PM

You forgot to give me the password too!<br><br>I use to use my neighbor's in emergencies. But they had 768 Verizon and it felt like I was on a modem. But good when I really needed it.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 07:02 AM

I suppose when you say wireless you're talking cellular, since you mention verizon?<br><br>Verizon imposes restrictions on how much you can download over cellular, so I'd say forget it.<br><br>I'm having wireless (microwave) installed at my house hopefully at the end of this week. It's a dedicated T1 connection with the same upload/download speeds, static IP, etc.. Basically a business package, $60 a month. But, there is no DSL or cable access where I live. It's directly off an OC-3 connection that's directly linked to a backbone, so latency should be less than half of what I'd get with a cable connection. I think I could get a T3, but that's overkill.<br><br>I don't think I'd want cable anyway, when I travel up to my Aunt's who has Comcast there are times she barely gets 80K/second. Technically her download speeds should be faster than what I'll get. But, she's not guaranteed connection speed so she's at their mercy. My upload speeds will wipe all over hers though.<br><br>Personally I'd go with Verizon FIOS if it were available.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 10:08 AM

Basically a business package, $60 !!!!!!!<br><br><br>Whoot whoot whoot!<br><br><br>That is great! Sgt. Fantastic price, I'd say for T1.<br><br>Enjoy <br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: iBookmaster

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 11:19 AM

I have Comcast too at about the same speed as you. I posted a problem with Safari on most of my Macs. I can surf to a page and most of the time it will begin to load, stop and sometimes keep going but most of the time I have to hit stop then reload and it goes ok. Firefox and other browsers don't do this. Do you have this Safari problem with Comcast?<br><br>
Posted by: ChrisN

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 11:35 AM

Late to the party, but here goes. We have used a wireless internet service at our two grocery stores for about 1 1/2 years. We wanted to use the same service for both stores. At one store we had problems with our previous dsl service that would have required some rewiring inside the store to the tune of a couple hundred dollars. Cable is as close as across the street from our shopping center and would cost thousands of dollars to get it connected to our store. we decided to try the option of wireless and it has worked fairly well. The first few months our provider had to jump through some hoops, but finally got our signal in solid. Kern Internet Services uses Motorola Canopy technology. <br><br>The problems we had in the beginning were only with one location. The other has worked flawlessly the whole time. One of the problems at the one location was caused by changes in a nearby cell tower. Our provider eventually had to relocate a new sending unit to aim at our receiver. Since then, no problems. The only issue we've had lately was during an extreme winter storm with winds up to 50 mph or more. Our service was in and out then back to normal the next day.<br><br>The cost is around $60 per month. The dl is not as fast as my cable connection at home, but it's very decent. (I'll try a speed test soon, just for kicks.) We have a wireless hotspot with our signal broadcast throughout the store with a wireless router.<br><br>All in all, I would recommend this type of wireless service when other applications just aren't feasible.<br><br>Chris<br><br><a href="http://www.light-imagery.com/index.html"target="_blank"></a> <br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 11:49 AM

fashionably late, thank you.<br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 12:04 PM

I'lll test it and get back to ya, okay. I promise. Trying to set up a web page photo page using Gallerie and haven't used it in a long time. Fun. <br><br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 12:06 PM

Interesting. $60 price is interesting to me for wireless and such good speed. I hope we get more of that around here . . . <br><br>That sure beats DirecTV or Dish prices, or at least the last time I checked.<br><br>Yo, iRock!!! <br><br>Is that cheaper than you pay?<br><br>Maybe the installation process for private individuals would be phohibitive. Well, I guess Sgt would have mentioned that. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br>I see Kern's site says Business Class Wireless Broadband. . . <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by starmillway on 02/11/08 03:10 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: DLC

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 12:34 PM

I have Comcast and this is my speed, but it's not wireless.<br><br><br><br>David (OFI)
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 02:28 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Maybe the installation process for private individuals would be phohibitive. Well, I guess Sgt would have mentioned that. <p><hr></blockquote><p>My installation charge is $99. Basically covers the dude's time to come and hang a radio and sling some cable into my house.<br><br>Oh, he'll be hanging that radio tomorrow! I'm stoked. :)<br><br>I can say one thing, with this setup everything after the radio is up to me, which is the way I like it. As long as I get a signal at the guaranteed rate, anything I screw up inside is my problem. Not that Comcast's customer service is anything to write home about.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!

Re: Wireless Internet Services - 02/11/08 04:39 PM

Wonder why you get twice as fast as me?<br><br>I know my test was 200 miles and yours 50, but should it make that kind of difference?<br><br>Good for you though, Dr. David! <br><br><br><br>