Frustrated

Posted by: iMacsoontobe

Frustrated - 01/26/08 01:29 PM

My old imac can access my new imac totally. My new iMac only lets me see a folder called "dropbox" and then says I don't have privileges for it. What am I doing wrong?<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Frustrated - 01/26/08 01:40 PM

Make sure you have Sharing turned on for both computers, and remember you need to use the user name and password of the machine you are trying to log in to, not from.<br><br>Edit - Didn't need the following but I left it. You can connect to Leopard.<br><br>On the Leopard machine in Sharing preferences highlight File Sharing, click the Options button, and make sure you have AFP checked and the users you want to share checked. Tiger and earlier doesn't have this option.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Reboot on 01/26/08 04:41 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: G4Dualie

Re: Frustrated - 01/26/08 02:04 PM

Off-topic but, do you have to have Sharing turned on in order to be able to use Screen-sharing in iChat?<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Frustrated - 01/26/08 06:34 PM

sorry, I had to leave.... <br><br>The old iMac is running panther, from it I can connect to the new imac running leopard, keying in the password for the new imac.<br><br>The new iMac show the old imac but all it will let me see is the "drop box"<br>file sharing is turned on, on the old imac, because I access it all the time with my powerbook (also running panther)<br><br>

Re: Frustrated - 01/26/08 06:48 PM

figured it out!<br><br>When I was only seeing the drop box, I went over to the right and clicked "Connect As......" and then it prompted me for the password, I knew I had to be missing something simple<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Frustrated - 01/26/08 06:52 PM

In the Leopard Finder window, under Shared, Click on the iMac that you want to connect to. It will connect as Guest allowing you only access to the Drop Box. At the top of that window, on the right hand side is a button labeled "Connect as." Click that and enter the appropriate info. (the user name and pw for the machine you're connecting to)<br><br><br>

Re: Frustrated - 01/26/08 07:44 PM

Thanks Michael, as you can see I found that about 4 minutes before your post, <br>Where were you a couple of hours ago? <br><br>Send some of that sunshine this way, it is so freaking cold up here.<br><br>