Time Capsule

Posted by: iRock

Time Capsule - 01/23/08 12:02 PM

Is anyone else thinking of getting one of these? It looks perfect for my needs but I haven't seen much discussion. I guess because it is not released yet. <br>I have 2 iMacs and a MBPro networked wirelessly and so can't use Time Machine. I was looking at getting a back up hard drive but not for all of them. I also wouldn't mind a better router. I have Hughesnet Satellite internet and just use wifi out of the Linksys wirelessG for all my networking.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Time Capsule - 01/23/08 12:03 PM

If I hadn't just bought a 500 GB backup drive, I'd be getting one of these myself, Shel!<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Time Capsule - 01/23/08 12:18 PM

I would like to have one of those tb ones!<br><br>my photos
Posted by: Nagromme

Re: Time Capsule - 01/23/08 12:57 PM

I'm waiting for a review first, but I plan to get a 1TB one that will back up all my machines for some time to come. A Time Capsule will kill lots of birds with one easy stone:<br><br>* Time Machine backup space (server-grade HD no less)<br><br>* Upgrade from WiFi G to WiFi N speed<br><br>* Avoid interference from my microwave and cordless, and neighboring WiFi<br><br>* N enabler for my iMac is included<br><br>* Wireless printing (I use an old PowerBook as an overkill printer connection right now)<br><br>* Additional Ethernet ports for when friends come over to game<br><br>I was already thinking of buying various products to achieve some or all of the above--but Time Capsule's price is hard to beat, and its simplicity is impossible to beat.<br><br>It would be neat if you could attach an iPod/iPhone dock to an AirPort/TC base station's USB port, and have it charge there and sync to your Mac. I doubt that is supported though.<br><br>(This $500 means I'll skimp on my Air, and not get the optical drive or AirPort Express I was planning on.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: eckhard

do you know ... - 01/23/08 01:00 PM

<br>.... if one TC set could generate/maintain distinct back-ups?<br>Having a central back-up station would be neat, but it would be necessary, to maintain privacy.<br><br>Is that possible?<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: ScoutX

Re: do you know ... - 01/23/08 01:27 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>but it would be necessary, to maintain privacy<p><hr></blockquote><p>The mind reels, imagining what you're backing up, eck...<br><br>Who serves his fellows, is of his fellows greatest - Chingachgook (by legend) <br><br>Scout
Posted by: eckhard

Re: do you know ... - 01/23/08 01:31 PM

<br>No, actually, it is my daughter, who demands the privacy! ;)<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Jashue

Re: Time Capsule - 01/23/08 08:12 PM

I was an early adopter (very early) of the 802.11N Airport base station that one can buy today-- and I bought it for the explicit reason of backing up the contents of my MBP via Time Machine. I was told that I could do this wirelesly since the APEX had a USB port and I could employ an external HD as an air disk.<br><br>You can imagine my irritation when I learned that I couldn't employ an air disk for this function!<br><br>You can further imagine my irritation when I learned that Apple was originally touting this function in press releases-- but pulled such claims only days before they actually shipped! They justified all of that by pointing to the fine print which stated that no claims were "final." <br><br>Finally-- you might be able to imagine my irritation when it was me that brought the situation to the attention of the genius at my local Apple store (he really hadn't heard, and he was shocked!)<br><br>Anyway... there is no reason that an air disk shouldn't work with Time Machine and this should be somewhat embarrassing to Apple. So if you happen to have an external HD already you might consider just sitting tight for a while. A lot of people believe that Apple will have a work around, and soon.<br><br>All the same, I think Time Capsule is pretty cool, and wish I didn't already have this new APEX base station.<br><br>But why wouldn't one want this device? Since you asked (and I've probably already said a lot more than you bargained for), the only compelling reason whey one might not want one is the very reason that it's so appealing: it's an all-in-one. If your router goes, then so does your HD and all of your data. If your HD goes, then so does your network and connection to the internet. <br><br>I've never had a major hardware melt-down-- but one of that nature sounds like a pretty unpleasant one to me!<br><br>All that being said, I still think it's pretty neat!<br><br>
Posted by: FSM

Re: Time Capsule - 01/23/08 10:26 PM

i have the same Airport Extreme. fwiw, there's a hint on macosxhints that explains how to use time machine over the network with this Airport. <br><br>
Posted by: iRock

Re: Time Capsule - 01/24/08 06:04 AM

Thanks everyone. Just think someday that terabyte is going to seem small.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog

Re: Time Capsule - 01/24/08 06:41 PM

Can TIme Machine back up with encryption? I don't like the idea of some thief walking out with my TM drive and having all my client files exposed.<br><br>I'm not so paranoid that I use File Vault on my Mac, though. My login password will at least slow them down. But what's to stop anyone from hooking up to my TM drive (Time Capsule or standalone) and mining the contents?<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: ScoutX

Re: Time Capsule - 01/24/08 07:59 PM

Have you considered putting your client files on an encrypted disk image? It is password protected to mount the image, with an option to automatically enter the password from the keychain of your user account. You can then back up the disk image. Without the password, a hacker cannot read the disk image file. You of course want to back it up, in case the disk image should become corrupted. I corrupted one once by remote mounting it and copying a file to it. Now I just copy files to an unencrypted downloads folder on the computer and manually move them locally into the encrypted image. Then I do a secure empty trash of the files in the downloads folder.<br><br>(I am required to encrypt all company data on the laptop that I carry out of the office, so the data is not compromised if the laptop is stolen. I wish the VA had done this with veterans' social security numbers.)<br><br>Who serves his fellows, is of his fellows greatest - Chingachgook (by legend) <br><br>Scout

Re: Time Capsule - 01/25/08 11:46 AM

I could do that--but then (in theory) if the ONE disk image file gets corrupted I lose the whole thing. Time Machine would then save the day, but then every time the image file changes, Time Machine would have to re-back up the WHOLE multi-GB image! Of ALL my client files--or if I drove myself nuts unlocking multiple encrypted images for different clients, it would still re-back up ALL the work I'd ever done for that client... every hour that I work on any of their files. Which would be waste of disk space since 99% of the image would be unchanged. I'd rather have a long and useful TM history than only be able to store a few steps back.<br><br>At least, that's my understanding.<br><br>I could also separate old and new projects for each client--but that would really complicate my work flow, especially when old and new projects share some large media assets. TM isn't meant to complicate your work flow. Plus, even a single current project could sometimes be several GB in size, with only a few MB actively changing.<br><br>Encryption on the Time Capsule end would save the day. I hope they add that since I don't see it mentioned--if it's even physically possible. Otherwise Time Capsule would be giving thieves a small, quick and tool-free way to steal everything.<br><br>Maybe I just need to lock down and hide the Time Capsule--but if I have cords going into it (printer at least) that limits my options. And I do want to grab my Time Capsule on the way out the door during twice-monthly fire alarms (or when I travel--may as well have my data in 2 places). Fumbling with barrel locks or smashing the bust of Caesar I have hidden my TC in would not be ideal.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: SteveS

Re: Time Capsule - 01/29/08 01:04 PM

"I was an early adopter (very early) of the 802.11N Airport base station that one can buy today-- and I bought it for the explicit reason of backing up the contents of my MBP via Time Machine. I was told that I could do this wirelesly since the APEX had a USB port and I could employ an external HD as an air disk.<br><br>You can imagine my irritation when I learned that I couldn't employ an air disk for this function!"<br><br>Rumor has it that this will be addressed with the 10.5.2 release. Hang in there (if you trust the rumors).<br><br>http://babygotmac.com/a/leopard-1052-upd...-remote-backup/<br><br><br>