Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme?

Posted by: Nagromme

Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 11:11 AM

My DSL modem/router has WiFi G. If I buy an AirPort Extreme (or Time Capsule), can the following be done?<br><br>* DSL router connected to Internet and broadcasting a WiFi G network, same as I use now.<br><br>* AirPort Extreme connects wirelessly to that, and broadcasts its OWN WiFi N network--at full N speed?<br><br>* I connect my Macs to the AirPort's network, not to the router's network. This would have no effect on Internet access, but I now have full N speed for copying files on LAN.<br><br>Would that work? AirPort connected to the Internet over G, then sharing that Internet over N for a full-speed N LAN?<br><br>If not, I'd connect the AirPort to the DSL router via Ethernet. But ideally I'd rather not have to have them located together. My DSL's phone jack isn't in a very useful spot. Plus if I get Time Capsule, I'd like to be able to grab it and go when the fire alarm goes off. Having no cables to yank other than power (and maybe printer) would be nice.<br><br>Thanks in advance.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 11:18 AM

I think that would work except for internet because you would be slowed down going from the n network Airport to the g network router. <br><br>Why not get a regular DSL modem and hook up the Airport to the modem? Then you would get N speeds for sure.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 11:22 AM

Thanks. Do you mean that Internet would fail to reach N speeds? (Which I accept: it doesn't even reach G speeds I don't think!) Or do you mean that even LAN file copies would be slowed to G speeds?<br><br>(I can physically wire AirPort to the modem/router, but I'm wondering if I have the option not to.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 11:30 AM

I think everything you list is possible except that the g signal will not be upgraded to n by AX. You probably will have full n LAN, but internet will be gated down to the original g rate, because that's all that's allowed into the pool initially. <br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>Coming to terms with the notion that life is dynamic.
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 11:31 AM

I'm guessing (since I really don't know) that transfering files locally wirelessly would be on the N network unless the G network was grabbed first.<br><br><br><br>my photos

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 11:35 AM

Cool. If I do this, I'll make sure my Macs don't even know the password for the G network smile (And I don't allow my networks to advertise anyway.)<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 11:50 AM

Further nuttiness: I wonder, can I hook an Apple USB modem to an Airport Extreme (or TC), and use it as a printer to send faxes?<br><br>I already fax wirelessly from my iMac, via my old PowerBook's built-in modem. And I plan to get a USB modem anyway for my Air. If it could fax through the AirPort that would be great!<br><br>Probably can't be done though.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 12:27 PM

Back in the day it used to be said that if you had a "b" device on an otherwise "g" network, the "b" device would slow the speed to "b" levels across the whole network. I don't know if that is at all relevant to this discussion, but I thought it might be, so there's my 2 cents.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: iMacsoontobe

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 12:33 PM

that was my first thought reading this.............<br><br><br>only N devices can utilize N network speed<br><br>only G devices can utilize G network speed<br><br>
Posted by: ichi

Re: Wireless DSL modem AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 12:36 PM

yep. your fax machine has no LAN connection? i didn't get that part.<br><br>you MAY need to ethernet your N device (as per your post and yoyo's reply). experiment. i understand why you don't wish to.<br><br>let us know?<br><br><br>"in times of peace the warlike man attacks himself."<br><br>[color:red]Libertarian Communist</font color=red>
Posted by: macbeemer

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 12:39 PM

Beats me. I'd just plug it all in and see what works. I'm glad we've moved away from dip switches and handshaking modem parity. All that 312K baud stuff was dizzying...<br><br><br><br><br>Coming to terms with the notion that life is dynamic.

Re: Wireless DSL modem AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 12:50 PM

I may choose to wire anyway, since part of the appeal of N is reduced interference from neighbors. It's possible I'll shut down G entirely. I'll experiment.<br><br>Re faxing, I always fax from OS X--I don't have a physical fax machine. My main machine (iMac) has no modem and isn't near a phone jack anyway, so here's what I do:<br><br>* My old PBG4, accessible on my home LAN, sits plugged into the phone jack with Fax Sharing turned on (a great OS X feature that works just like Printer Sharing).<br><br>* When I want to fax from my iMac, I can: the fax goes (wirelessly) to the PB which does the dialing and sending. All nice and automatic.<br><br>But I'm wondering if I can retire that PB and do the same thing with an AirPort base station + USB modem. I know the base station supports printer sharing, but does it support faxmodem sharing? Probably not--sounds obscure to me--but it would be neat.<br><br>If not, I'll just use my new Air to do faxing. Unlike my iMac, it can easily be carried to a phone jack, and then my iMac can fax through it the same way I fax through my PBG4.<br><br>I don't fax often anyway--I'm just curious.<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 01:08 PM

Oh I agree . . . playing around with this stuff is great fun. Expensive sometimes, though <br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 01:24 PM

I think your best bet is to connect the AEBS to the other router via ethernet and set up the AEBS as a bridge. Turn off the wi-fi on the other and you should be all set.<br><br>- alec -

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 01:27 PM

Maybve so. With AirPort set to bridge, can you still use the USB port (for printing or storage)?<br><br>nagr[color:red]o</font color=red>mme<br><br>I require stroyent!<br>TeamMacOSX.com | MacClan.net
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 02:10 PM

Can't see why not. I have a client running a similar bridged network through a LinkSys which is connected to their satellite modem - HP printer attached to the AEBS is available to all.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Wireless DSL modem + AirPort Extreme? - 01/23/08 08:17 PM

I was going to say what Alec said. Keep it simple.<br><br>I doubt the faxing through the Airport would work but try it and let us know.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game