Wireless Router Question

Posted by: MacBozo

Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 10:52 AM

Any opinions on this one?<br><br>Wife wants to get rid of some wiring and, since her MacMini is wireless capable, why the heck not? (besides, gives me more reason to think more about getting a MacBook - maybe the next generation.) Oh! I have a Best Buy gift card as a Christmas gift that I haven't used. <br><br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 11:18 AM

A router is a router is a router. Go for price. Except Linksys, "just say no" from my personal experience. I see Linksys working just fine in most instances, but the only wireless routers I have ever had incompatibilities with Macs are Linksys.<br><br>Do you have to get it from Best Buy? You can get it cheaper elsewhere.<br><br>BTW, the "Range Booster" works only if you have a D-Link wireless card in the computer, it's proprietary for D-Link products only. So if you get that one you can turn it off when setting up the router.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 11:28 AM

Do you have to get it from Best Buy? You can get it cheaper elsewhere.<br><br>Will they accept my BB gift card? <br><br>
Posted by: Leslie

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 11:33 AM

My Linksys WRT54GS has worked just fine. Easy to set up and zero problems. Also, the signal is received clear in my guest house which is about 50 feet away and the price is right.<br><br>
Posted by: polymerase

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 11:56 AM

I've never had a problem with Lynksys either but I usually don't ask for much because I leave them in default settings.<br><br>D-Link seems a bit underfed and scary.<br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 12:10 PM

Agreed on the Linksys - once I got it set up the way I wanted, no problems!<br><br>My only complaint would be the inability to open more ports beyond the 9 or 10 the setup screen allows you to.<br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 12:20 PM

I'll feed them! <br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 12:39 PM

I have 3 Macs using airport. 2 in the living room and one in the fireplace room.<br><br>Not sure what you guys are talking about Wireless Router.<br><br>I use Airport Extreme at my Comcast modem. Is THAT my router? If not, what would I need a 'router' for? Should I get one?<br><br>I also get a good signal from my neighbors PC wireless setup using my airport cards, but she has a dumba$$ Verizon $14.99 a month dsl connection. But in emergencies, it has come in handy for me <br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 12:56 PM

The Airport Extreme is your router. I'm not going to pay $180 for it, though.<br><br>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:00 PM

I'll accept your BB gift card. That's just the kind of guy I am.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: Pete

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:01 PM

Well you could always visit a CompUSA and get your whopping 5% (or is it 5?) off of that. <br><br><br><br>[color:purple]Work With ____! </font color=purple>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:06 PM

Chances are your Linksys works great. Like I said most I have set up do. But I have set up three that did not work in the environment I set them up in. The first two the wireless did not work for Internet, you could connect to the router, share files, but no surfing. I went back and got replacements, which didn't help, another brand fixed it though. I was drawn by the low price. The third one that didn't work did not want to work in a shop that had some legacy ethernet equipment mixed in, it wasn't a wireless. Things would work with an older Linksys I carry as a test router for trouble shooting, a replacement Linksys/Cisco didn't work either, but a new one of another brand fixed it.<br><br>As usual YMMV, but I have never had those troubles with any other router brand and I've set up just about every brand out there.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: Swatcat

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:12 PM

Linksys does not like you Reboot <br>I have used Linksys for several years with out any problems however all my Linksys routers are dormat now after I went FIOS I now use the Apple wireless N router<br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:15 PM

and you'll get that router right out in the morning. <br><br>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:29 PM

Will they accept my BB gift card?<br><br>NO !<br>Just send me the card and I will call Best Buy and tell them that your on the way<br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !
Posted by: KateSorensen

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:32 PM

Oops! Airport Express. I got it refurbed 3 years ago. It's still going. New $99<br><br>http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:37 PM

An Express would work for me, except I'm still using a 2nd gen G4 (mucho modified) without an Airport card (can't get 1st gen cards anymore for cheap - besides, 1st gen wireless is way slow) so I need wired ethernet ports also. Do the USB 2.0/wireless converters work worth a damm?<br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:40 PM

Suuure!<br><br><br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 01:45 PM

Personally I would stay away from USB when it comes to internet connectivity unless it was a laptop without a built-in card.<br>Get a real router with four ports wireless or not wireless<br><br> My Ultimate Amazing Crap !

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 02:05 PM

D-Link ordered (looks just like my wired D-Link which has worked flawlessly). Yeah, I'll save up for a MacBook for sometime later this year (or maybe a mini for myself, but I'd rather go mobile I think). My G4 FrankenMac just keeps on going and going and going.... <br><br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 02:18 PM

My first wireless router was a d-link. It worked fine. You'll have no problems with it.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 03:15 PM

Out in the morning? I knew there was a catch. Forget it. <br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 03:32 PM

The first generation wireless is more than fast enough for internet. I see them on ebay once in a while for $30 or so but most around $50-60. Higher to the idiots.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: Mactico

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 05:33 PM

I have also a Mac Mini and I am using Linksys WRT-54, works great almost one year now.<br><br><br>
Posted by: electricron

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 05:52 PM

Personally, if your local network is all Mac, I recommend spending a little more and buying Airport Extreme basestation.<br><br>Not only is it a snap to setup, it's much easier to share files wirelessly.<br><br>The Linksys routers are great for connecting to the web, but hard to setup to share files, imho.<br><br>Not saying it can't be done, just hard to do. I prefer to pay more for "easy".<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 06:05 PM

I've gone through several Belkin and LinkSys routers and have found them to be very inconsistent, qualitywise. I tried setting up a Netgear for a friend once and couldn't get two to work. Finally, I've found Buffalo routers to be the most reliable. Unfortunately, you can't get them now because they're being used as a test case that will extend to other router manufacturers if they lose.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 06:21 PM

I agree with that completely. Compared to setting up a non-Apple router, setting up an Airport base station is like learning to fall asleep.<br><br>&#63743; &#63743; &#63743; &#63743;

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 06:38 PM

Sorry for confusing the thread by mentioning Linksys. Got more response to that. LOL.<br><br>Argghh, what the hell do I know anyway. <br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/14/08 06:53 PM

The GUI for initial setup with an Airport is nice as compared to the web interface for other routers, Airport prompts for a password for instance. Most routers for home customers I run across have no password. But go off the beaten path with Airport and you still have to know how to route ports.<br><br>One feature I really like about Airport is the printer sharing, that really clicks with my home customers.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/15/08 08:24 AM

A little more? Try 3x more. Wholesale Price Index up over 6% - paycheck flatline. <br>I went for the $60 unit. ($50 BB Gift Card applied = $10 out of pocket plus tax and shipping.) <br><br>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/15/08 09:11 AM

I print share with the linksys.<br><br>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/15/08 09:04 PM

You can plug a USB printer into the Linksys?<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: iRock

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/15/08 11:38 PM

Add me to the list of Linksys lovers. I set it up with little knowledge and have networked, (up to 3 at a time), a half dozen computers through it. I plug my printer to the iMac and then print with Wifi from the MBPro.<br><br>I'm really leaning towards a Time Capsule for my birthday next month. Then I would ditch the Linksys.<br><br>oh yeah, that's going in the blog

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/16/08 09:40 AM

No, it is wireless printing.<br>I misunderstood your comment.<br><br>

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/16/08 12:15 PM

What is the basis of the suit, some infringement on the g technology or something?<br><br>Maybe I'm dense today, couldn't figure it out from the article.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Wireless Router Question - 01/17/08 05:49 AM

Snowball effect on all wireless products.<br><br>Possibly coming to a router near you.<br><br>