Ethernet going out?

Posted by: OSXaddict

Ethernet going out? - 12/02/07 07:28 AM

I think my ethernet is going out in my PPC G5 powermac. Wireless works fine but when I hook up the ethernet cable, it loses connection almost immediately.<br><br>I don't have another cable handy (my basement is all wired up, but it runs behind the walls and I don't want to set the mac up there yet) so I can't tell if it's the cable or card.<br><br>Anyone know of a PCI-X ethernet card for the powermac?<br><br>
Posted by: Mississauga

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/02/07 08:52 AM

I'd be suspicious about the cable - some brands are more prone to failure than others. The next step would be to perform a hard reset of your router, trash all your Locations and network related prefs and start anew.<br><br>- alec -

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/02/07 11:47 AM

Seems rather harsh to do.<br><br>I'll try a new cable but the router should be fine since the iMac and phone are performing with no problems and the locations/network prefs are fine since airport works ok with it.<br><br>

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/02/07 01:44 PM

Maybe a little harsh, but cheaper than buying a NIC card you may not need. <br><br>- alec -
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/02/07 03:25 PM

I was thinking of suggesting checking the cable first, too.<br><br>

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/02/07 03:33 PM

how about may not find?<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/03/07 07:11 AM

Are you running Leopard? There are issues with Leopard dropping IP connections on ethernet. Might not be the hardware at all.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: rman

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/03/07 01:37 PM

My old PowerMac G5 had two ethernet ports. Is both of your ports going bad?<br><br>

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/03/07 01:40 PM

mine must be older than yours since it only has 1 ethernet port.<br><br>

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/04/07 06:04 PM

Ok, got the wire. nothing on Leopard or Tiger.<br><br>Reset the wireless router, that worked. huh...weird.<br><br>Testing wired versus wireless:<br><br>Wired<br><a href="http://www.speedtest.net"></a><br><br><br>Wireless was 8288 down, 926 up.<br><br>

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/04/07 08:12 PM

So... does this mean everything is back to normal? A bad ethernet cable may short out and throw a router into a fit.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/04/07 09:09 PM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p> A bad ethernet cable may short out and throw a router into a fit.<p><hr></blockquote><p>Good point. But you knew that. <br><br>Can't believe we forgot to tell him to reboot the router though.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/04/07 09:16 PM

Sometimes routers get stupid, they are running on software.<br><br>Also I might mention that my router sometimes gets knocked out when my 2.4Ghz phone decides to share a nearby sub-band. Most times it comes back after hanging up the phone or changing channels on the phone, but every couple of months or so it knocks out the whole router.<br><br>Should get a 5.8Ghz phone, I know.<br><br>------> JD's Trivia game<br><br>------> MCF-MM Trivia game

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/05/07 02:40 AM

Yup, it's back to normal.<br><br>What I don't understand is how come wireless was fine. Same router but hardwired lost it's function there for a few days.<br><br>

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/05/07 04:44 AM

Like Reboot stated, routers run on software and something likely corrupted the wired side of yours - rare occurrence. Usually the wireless side gets hiccups.<br><br>- alec -
Posted by: MacBozo

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/05/07 01:08 PM

Get a DECT 6.0 set. Very clear signal and, as far as I can tell, no interference.<br><br>
Posted by: SgtBaxter

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/06/07 06:35 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>Get a DECT 6.0 set. Very clear signal and, as far as I can tell, no interference.<p><hr></blockquote><p><br>I get a little interference on ours. Plus what I don't like is the damn thing is always transmitting back and forth between the handset and base. On our set the lights flash ever slightly, and though you don't see it during the day at night it looks like a damn laser show. At least on the other styles the handsets don't transmit until they receive a signal.<br><br><br><br>Hey I'm an F'n Jerk!
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Ethernet going out? - 12/09/07 06:48 PM

Every once in a while I check with D-Link to see if my router has any new firmware updates that I need to apply. If the problem comes up again, you might want to check the manufacturer's website for updates. <br><br>