you are not connected

Posted by: lanovami

you are not connected - 07/23/07 02:08 PM

So my computer keeps dropping the internet connection all the time. When I was on my iBook I don't remember having this problem, it seems like something that started when we bought our Intel iMac. At first I thought it was other equipment. I changed the ethernet cable that goes into the back of our computer, the results were the same. I would suspect the other equipment, like the router etc., but we also get all our "cable" television through our broadband connection and the same router and have no problems with it (less problems in fact, than we did a few years ago when we first started it.)<br><br>It has been a problem for a while and it seems to be getting worse. The only way to fix it is to take out the ethernet cable from the back of the computer and click it back in again, and this only works about half of the time. It has been particularly bad this morning; I am sure I have lost my connection while I am writing this.. Anyone else experienced this problem? Any ideas?<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: lanovami

Re: you are not connected - 07/23/07 11:42 PM

No ideas huh? Anyone?<br><br>BTW, I changed my avatar back to Rimmer, anyone know who he is? Anyone, I am more of an A.J. Rimmer than I will ever be a Dr. Bunson Honeydew.<br><br>We are what we repeatedly do. -Aristotle
Posted by: andybloom

Re: you are not connected - 07/24/07 11:17 AM

Check Red Dwarf (BBC sci-fi programme).<br>It can be funny in places... a lot of places.<br><br>
Posted by: bookrat

Re: you are not connected - 07/25/07 05:31 AM

I have encountered something similar but it was on the G4 which I "loaned" to my mom to save me from having to buy her a new Mac. It was eventually traced down to the ethernet port on the back of the G4. I suspect that it was starting to malfunction. I didn't bother to run any diagnostics or send it in for confirmation since it was out of warranty. I just switched to Airport since my brother had a wireless network in place and everything has been peachy.<br><br>Funnily I tried to "loan" my mom an iBook G4 but it just would not connect or even see the wireless network. The PowerBook G3 sees it fine though. I haven't tried the MacBook Pro.<br><br>