Need help expanding my home network...

Posted by: G4Dualie

Need help expanding my home network... - 11/28/06 12:59 PM

The image below represents my current setup, which consists of a cable modem and a router. Both bedroom computers are connected to the internet, however, I would like to add my xbox 360 to the mix.<br><br>I don't have the inclination to dig up the carpet in order to lay down another ethernet cable, nor is wireless an option right now. I do have a hub that I was hoping to use to provide the xbox and computer access points to the Net. Is this doable? I can't seem to get it to work.<br><br>The ethernet cable coming into Bedroom #2 does provide access to the router and I have been trying to connect that cable to Port #8 on the Hub. When the Cascade Switch is set to Crossover, I get what appears to be a collision-free signal and the lights on the face of the Hub are green. I connected the computer and xbox to Ports 1 and 2 on the Hub but neither can access the internet.<br><br>Does the TCP/IP and DHCP configuration require some advanced settings besides what the Internet Assistant can do to connect me otherwise?<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Need help expanding my home network... - 11/28/06 02:25 PM

Why not run the router to bedroom #2 instead of that hub?<br><br>Since you have an ethernet wire running from living room to bedroom #2, replace that hub with the router and run the bedroom #1 wire to the router.<br><br>Edit:<br>oh...re-read your post and see that you don't want to run wires, which means you don't want to run cable wire either.<br><br>Perhaps the ports on the hub or router need to be opened? I haven't a clue.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by OSXaddict on 11/28/06 05:28 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Need help expanding my home network... - 11/28/06 02:35 PM

I've had a setup like this before and it should work without changing any settings on the computer. Sounds like the hub may be the problem. I'd try an ethernet switch instead.<br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Need help expanding my home network... - 11/28/06 02:50 PM

I have this switch and it's pretty cheap on Amazon <br><br><br><br>I would sell you mine but it's cheaper to get it through Amazon.<br><br>

Re: Need help expanding my home network... - 11/28/06 03:14 PM

I had this set up working once before. I used the Hub to add my LaserWriter to an existing network. I just can't remember the proper configuration of cables and switches.<br><br>I'll look into the Linksys switch John is talking about.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)
Posted by: Jim_

Re: Need help expanding my home network... - 11/29/06 09:09 AM

If you connect the cable from the router directly to the computer and/or xbox in Bedroom #2 do you get Internet access?<br><br>BTW hub =switch, same thing.<br><br>

Re: Need help expanding my home network... - 11/29/06 09:00 PM

Yes, but if I have to, I will unplug the internet connection from the computer and plug it into the xbox when I want to use xbox live.<br><br>I was hoping that I could somehow use the hub as a kind of splitter so I could... well... you know what I mean.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Need help expanding my home network... - 11/29/06 09:06 PM

I know what you mean. It should be working the way you have it wired.<br><br>As far as connecting direct, I was wondering if it actually did work that way. It's supposed to, wondering if it's a cabling problem, or a bad switch.<br><br>

Re: Need help expanding my home network... - 11/29/06 11:14 PM

I'm thinking my hub is bad. I double-checked the Belkin Router manual and it states I can attach a hub directly to the router via the Uplink ports on both devices with a straight-through cat-5 cable.<br><br>So I'm going to buy the Linksys hub John recommended.<br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: Need help expanding my home network... - 11/30/06 05:54 AM

Let us know how it goes, I'm curious.<br><br>Thx.<br><br>

It's Done! - 12/01/06 06:13 PM

I bought a Netgear 5-Port Fast Ethernet Switch from Staples and it worked. There was zero configuration. I just plugged the cables in, powered it up and was online immediately. The xbox 360 is online now as well.<br><br>In fact I can now access my iPhoto and iTunes libraries from the xbox.<br><br><br><br><br>M i c h a e l (OFI)

Re: It's Done! - 12/01/06 06:36 PM

So it was just a bad switch. Good to hear you're back in the ether. <br><br>
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: It's Done! - 12/02/06 04:59 AM

See, told ya. <br><br>

Re: It's Done! - 12/02/06 06:57 AM

Did you say something? ;)<br><br>