wireless with ntl

Posted by: tom

wireless with ntl - 08/01/06 10:17 AM

Hi, this may be the oldest form discussion in history, but I can't seem to find the right one!!! I've purchased a new ibook and want to go wireless. I have got a Netgear DG834G modem router and use NTL cable as my internet provider. I know this may mean a bit of typing for someone but can I have a muppets step by step on how to do this, being a Mac vand wireless virgin and all........ cheers<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: wireless with ntl - 08/01/06 10:36 AM

There should be a disc with the router which includes a set-up wizard. It should take you through the handful of steps needed to get online easier than any muppet can. <br><br>I'm assuming that you have a wireless card in your Macbook?<br><br>

Re: wireless with ntl - 08/01/06 12:38 PM

hi steveg, unfort the wizard won't work on the mac, (only for windows), its got the manual stuff, but even that makes no sense at all.....<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: wireless with ntl - 08/01/06 12:44 PM

Connect the modem via the ethernet cable to the router's WAN port. Then from System Preferences choose Networking. Select Airport. Turn it on and choose to display in menu bar. Make sure DHCP is selected. Then from the menu bar icon you can drop it down and you should see the router. Select it. That's it. For security make sure you turn on set your router to a non-default channel. I suggest 9. It also won't interfere with 900 MHz phones that way. And turn WPA on.<br><br><br>Also see This link<br><br><br>***Leoville

Re: wireless with ntl - 08/03/06 02:40 PM

Thanks, all it works like a dream.......all I've got to do now is make it secure......does the excitement ever end!!!! <br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: wireless with ntl - 08/03/06 03:28 PM

You're welcome. Glad to hear it.<br><br>***Leoville