old iMacs and wireless

Posted by: sean

old iMacs and wireless - 11/06/05 04:51 PM

anyone use a USB stick to access a wireless network? i have 2 old iMacs. 1 is still running 9.x, but i'll upgrade it because it's newer than the other one that i have already upgraded . . . so, i know it'll work. it's an older iMac with the 2 firewire ports and we used it for video editing back when it was a pretty good machine. anyway, these 2 iMacs are my kids' machines now. well, they've discovered the Internet and playhousedisney.com and pbskids.org, etc. they don't have access to the Internet, but i want to get it because i am tired of giving up my machine (as is my wife). <br><br>i found this: <a href="http://www.buy.com/retail/Product.asp?sku=201972435&SearchEngine=GoogleD&Type=GoogleD&Keyword=201972435&Category=Comp&dcaid=17260">link to buy.com</a> (Linksys Wireless-G USB Network Adapter with Wi-Fi Finder - WUSBF54G) <br><br>the problem is that it is UBS 2.0 and i doubt my iMacs have that. is there an option anyone here is using that i could explore? TIA.<br><br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: old iMacs and wireless - 11/06/05 05:22 PM

I wouldn't use a USB adapter for a Mac, Sean--you might find that there are no Mac drivers for the little things. Instead, I'd suggest an ethernet wireless bridge. Check out this D-Link model. The beauty of these devices is that the Mac thinks its connecting via ethernet, so no drivers are necessary.<br><br>. . . . . Here's lookin' at [color:red]you</font color=red> kid.
Posted by: steveg

Re: old iMacs and wireless - 11/06/05 05:29 PM

Oh great! If any old Macs are reading this thread, you just blew that cover. Nice move, Dick. <br><br><br><br>Oh... wrong forum. Sorry. <br><br>
Posted by: sean

Re: old iMacs and wireless - 11/06/05 05:54 PM

that's terrific Al. perfect. i didn't realize those things existed. <br><br>thanks.<br><br>--<br>"I am mindful that diversity is one of the strengths of the country" --president bush on 9/27/05