Broadband Internet

Posted by: greenme1

Broadband Internet - 12/12/02 09:21 PM

What are your opinions on the different Broadband types, and ISPs? I can get Verizon DSL, AT&T digital cable modem, Earthlink DSL and a few other ISPs and i was wondering, which have you had the best experience with? (Cable vs. DSL & ISP vs. ISP)<br><br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/12/02 10:14 PM

I have no experience with DSL myself, but I have had two friends switch from DSL to cable and they claim the speed is significantly better with cable.<br><br>I've been using Cox Cable for about 2 years and I have been quite satisfied with it. No extended interruption of service or anything like that, but they did just bump up the monthly price by $5 <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/12/02 10:25 PM

I've never used cable, but have used a couple of different DSL providers. Currently it's Verizon, and they're ok, for the most part. I think cable is probably faster on the whole, though.<br><br> Great wits are sure to madness near allied.--John Dryden, "Absalom and Achitophel"

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/12/02 11:29 PM

The only thing i might be worried about with cable is if they start to put caps on bandwidth, which AT&T may do in the future. <br><br><br>
Posted by: OSXaddict

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/13/02 03:06 AM

I have cable and love it. Have had it for 2 years and really no problems. Mine was affiliated with AT&T but now I think it's RoadRunner.<br><br>Here are the reasons I went with cable vs DSL:<br>1. DSL, here at least, was more expensive<br>2. DSL was slower on downloads (but faster on uploads)<br>3. At the time, don't know about now, it was a lot harder hooking up DSL to a mac I think.<br><br><br>My suggestions, since you have a wide variety of choices unlike some of us..I only have 2, cable or BellSouth DSL...is to check on prices. DSL may be cheaper for you there and it may be the way to go. If cable is cheaper, then go for that since you have the phone and such.<br><br>Also, keep an eye on "new sign-up" deals....some give you the modem or free installation. <br><br><br>[color:red]Don't make me open this on you!</font color=red><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/13/02 05:51 AM

how does that differ from the caps they already put on accounts for cable and dsl?<br><br><br>Visit me here!

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/13/02 09:12 AM

They will start to say you can only download so many MB per month to "try to put a stop to file sharing" but if you go over they will charge you more, kind of like a cell phone. <br><br><br>

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/13/02 09:16 AM

They are all about the same price ($50/month) and Earthlink offers Mac support, Verizon offers an all-in-one Phone, cell phone and DSL offer (I already have a verizon cell phone), and i would have to change phone providers to get DSL because AT&T digital phone lines won't support them, just their cable service . <br><br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/13/02 09:39 AM

I've been with Earthlink from the get go. First it was dial-up then I migrated to DSL. My speed has been fast for me, (I don't remember the actual rate) but I compare it to the speed I have at work and it's about the same. that may have a lot to do with my proximity to the main office in Pasadena. Their Mac support has been great for me with no complaints.<br><br>[color:blue]If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. - Milton Berle</font color=blue>

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/13/02 01:18 PM

Thanks for the input! <br><br><br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/13/02 02:20 PM

No sweat, let us know what you decide.<br><br>[color:blue]If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door. - Milton Berle</font color=blue>

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/13/02 04:15 PM

OK, will do! <br><br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Broadband Internet - 12/14/02 08:45 AM

I've only used cable and so far no problems... which is suspect. With such quality service, prices are bound to go up.<br><br>(Place clever quote here.)