PB won't connect to wireless network after sleep

Posted by: Anonymous

PB won't connect to wireless network after sleep - 04/27/05 02:41 AM

I've been a Windows user since 3.1 but have only recently tried Macs and have a 20" iMac and a more recently bought 15" Powerbook. Both are conneced to my home network of PC through a Vigor ADSL router, the iMac by cable and the PB by wireless<br><br>The PB is running 10.3.9 and everytime it goes to sleep and wakes up it loses connectivity through the wireless network even though it is shown as still being connected.<br><br>Any ideas what I can do to sort this problem?<br><br>Thanks<br><br>Mike<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: PB won't connect to wireless network after sleep - 04/27/05 06:43 PM

In the Network system preferences, you can configure the airport to join a specific network. It should automatically connect after that.<br><br>

Re: PB won't connect to wireless network after sleep - 04/28/05 04:51 AM

My problem is that it does show as connected, with a signal strength etc., but there's absolutely no connectivity through it - I can't get email or websites<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: PB won't connect to wireless network after sleep - 04/28/05 06:24 PM

Are there any settings on the router preventing it? Have you restricted access by MAC address and not entered it in the router?<br><br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: PB won't connect to wireless network after sle - 04/28/05 08:19 PM

I saw this on MacFixit.<br><br>""I too have experienced the connection issues when waking from sleep. My 12" 1GHz will occasionally not reconnect to the airport network. Simple enough to connect... with the menubar... but it ends up being an issue when the widgets (konfab and dash) want to use the network immediately upon waking."<br><br>In some cases, this issue can be resolved by opening the Network Pane of System Preferences, clicking the "AirPort" tab, then selecting "Automatic" from the "By Default Join:" menu (rather than selecting a specific AirPort network). Oddly, in some cases, the opposite set-up allows for proper operation (i.e. selecting a specific AirPort network rather than using the automatic setting.)<br><br>Note that this problem is not relegated to Mac OS X 10.4, it is merely more frequent after the update. The issue has been reported under Mac OS X 10.3.x as well. "<br><br>

Re: PB won't connect to wireless network after sleep - 04/29/05 12:42 PM

> Are there any settings on the router preventing it? Have you restricted access > by MAC address and not entered it in the router?<br><br>No, it works fine before going to sleep, it's only after waking up again there's a problem<br><br>