Airport question

Posted by: OSXaddict

Airport question - 12/31/04 11:11 AM

Ok, I'm on hold with Applecare, but let's see if anyone can help me first...especially since the hold wait is 15+ minutes. <br><br>I got home a few minutes ago and my G5 isn't connected to the internet anymore. I have the iMac running software base station with both the iMac and G5 with Airport Extreme cards inside. I have been connected wirelessly for about 2 months at least with no problems. <br><br>A restart doesn't do anything and I tried System Prefs, Airport Admin Utilities, etc but nothing on the iMac or G5. The menubar icon for airport on the iMac used to have the regular bars with an arrow pointed up...now it looks like this:<br><br><br><br>What's the problem? How can I get my G5 (and iBook) back online wirelessly?<br><br>I'm even considering getting an Airport Express base station....<br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 11:38 AM

Great....Applecare picks up, talk to him a minute telling him what happened, he puts me on hold, then...beep beep beep and bingo, it hangs up on me. (no...phone didn't die. He put me on hold and it disconnected me)<br><br>Back on hold <br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 11:50 AM

That's the icon you get when you've created a closed network. Tried turning AP off, then on, and select"other" network and enter the network name and password.<br><br>And, uh, any chance Dusty may have been messing around? Kids will do that, y'know. <br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 11:57 AM

It wasn't closed before. And I just turned on Internet Sharing via System prefs and did not set up a closed one. So there is no Network Name or Password.<br><br>Amy apparently put the iMac to sleep when she left....which meant that I lost internet connection on the iMac and G5. Dusty didn't do anything <br><br>I'm STILL on hold (again!). <br><br>My next question is...will the Airport Express act as a base station too? Perhaps I'll just get one of those and then not have to worry about all this.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 12:00 PM

After all that waiting on hold..and now it gives me the BUSY signal?! <br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 12:15 PM

APEx isn't going to solve your problem. You may need to just reset the base station, and start from scratch. I've had some trouble getting a 2nd base station to act as a relay, and have been told that resetting both and setting up fresh will probably do the trick. You might also wanna check to see if you have the latest AP firmware. I think it's 5.something.<br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 12:19 PM

Problem is Steve...I don't have a base station. The iMac IS the base station:<br><br>"I have the iMac running software base station with both the iMac and G5 with Airport Extreme cards inside. I have been connected wirelessly for about 2 months at least with no problems. "<br><br>I'm running software base station via Network in System Prefs (internet sharing). It was working fine until this afternoon.<br><br>I'm STILL on hold with Apple. This is their last time..then I'm getting an Airport Express base station.<br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 12:22 PM

My bad. I though you had the hardware.<br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 12:24 PM

Nope. I'm thinking of just running up to CompUSA and getting one. That would take care of this issue....but AppleCare is really not making things easier!<br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 12:37 PM

Take #2 with Applecare..they finally answered. <br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 12:49 PM

Great. Because AppleCare never sent me a registration card with Applecare (and me thinking I had it registered when I talked to them on the phone awhile ago), they can't help me..I have to call 1-800-Appl care..which was the number I HAD been calling...sheesh. talk about a run-around! <br><br>

Re: Airport question - 12/31/04 03:33 PM

AppleCare couldn't help me. <br><br>So I went and picked up an Airport Express base station. Took a little bit getting it set up...had to call Apple tech support but now, got all 3 macs set up wirelessly.<br><br>What's cool is that I'm on the iBook listening to my music from the G5 via this iTunes. Sharing music is awesome.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Airport question - 01/01/05 02:21 PM

That really is the best way to go about it. Don't forget to secure that network.<br><br><br>

Re: Airport question - 01/01/05 02:54 PM

Move along please. Only John can post in his thread.<br><br><br><br>