Wireless question

Posted by: yoyo52

Wireless question - 10/30/04 02:31 PM

I hope someone can explain this to me, cause I'm totally stumped.<br><br>About two hours ago, my son came down from his room with the bad news that his computers, a Dull and an iBook, both running off wireless cards, had stopped getting any signal at all. I, on the other hand, was getting full marks in the Airport signal indicator. My wife's PB, just next door to mine, was not getting any signal either. We took the iBook right next to the wireless router, and it managed to get just one stripe on the Airport indicator. I had to go out for a while, and when I came back everything was back to normal.<br><br>What's that all about?????<br><br>
Posted by: Bryan

Re: Wireless question - 10/30/04 02:41 PM

If it's inconsistent like that, I would say interference of some sort. <br><br>Got any cordless phones?<br><br>

Re: Wireless question - 10/30/04 02:47 PM

Just cell phones. But really, this is the first time in about six months that something like this has happened. I guess I'd understand it if all the computers stopped getting a signal, but the fact that mine kept getting beautiful reception, but that even taking the iBook right next to the router failed to get a signal . . . that's what puzzles me no end!<br><br>
Posted by: steveg

Re: Wireless question - 10/30/04 02:50 PM

It means you just needed to go out for a bit. <br><br>

Re: Wireless question - 10/30/04 05:26 PM

Out? Out? Where's that?<br><br>
Posted by: Pete

Re: Wireless question - 10/31/04 09:33 AM

Someone heating up a burrito or something perhaps?<br><br><br>[color:red]C'mon...you know me.</font color=red>

Re: Wireless question - 10/31/04 10:42 AM

Maybe next door. Someone who doesn't eat too frequently, though <br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Wireless question - 11/01/04 11:59 AM

Check the network it's connected to. If may have connected to a neighbour's network, so the signal you see is actually between the computer and the router next door.<br><br>Barring that, restart the airport card and see if it clears up.<br><br>

Re: Wireless question - 11/01/04 03:53 PM

I've got the only wireless network on the block, so it's not a different network that's at issue. I guess next time it happens (knowck on wood that it doesn't) I'll try the turning the connection off and back on. I still wonder why four computers lost the signal completely and one didn't.<br><br>