Airport & hub- connection order?

Posted by: DaddyMac

Airport & hub- connection order? - 09/03/04 10:07 AM

A friend of mine here at work is trying to split his cable modem connection amongst a few wireless computers and a few hard wired machines as well.<br><br>He has an old graphite Airport, a G3 tower (with AP card), a PC laptop with a Linksys wireless card, and a couple of old PC's right near the Airport that can be hard wired via ethernet.<br><br>He has a network hub, but he's not sure if he connects the modem to the hub and THEN the Airport, or the modem to the Airport and then the hub.<br><br>We talked about it a while, but I wasn't quite sure either...<br><br><br><br>[color:white]God speed, mikeb. Go drive your Boxster in the big Autobahn in the sky...</font color=white>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Airport & hub- connection order? - 09/03/04 10:10 AM

The router is always the gateway to the internet. Modem ---> Airport ----> Hub<br><br>

Re: Airport & hub- connection order? - 09/03/04 10:15 AM

I'm only used to Linksys and their admin tools, but does Airport have some sort of control panel whereby you can do port forwarding, MAC filtering, etc?<br><br>[color:white]God speed, mikeb. Go drive your Boxster in the big Autobahn in the sky...</font color=white>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Airport & hub- connection order? - 09/03/04 10:18 AM

/Applications/Utilities/AirPort Admin Utility<br><br>You cant polish a Turd.

Re: Airport & hub- connection order? - 09/03/04 10:18 AM

Well shucks, I just never opened it before...<br><br>Can he use the latest AP Utility that comes with Panther for an original graphite Airport?<br><br>[color:white]God speed, mikeb. Go drive your Boxster in the big Autobahn in the sky...</font color=white>
Posted by: nutty

Re: Airport & hub- connection order? - 09/03/04 10:58 AM

i believe it will work. launch and if you connect then you are golden<br><br>You cant polish a Turd.
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Airport & hub- connection order? - 09/03/04 11:17 AM

Yes he can use the AP utility with an original Airport base station.<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Re: Airport & hub- connection order? - 09/03/04 11:19 AM

Sweet, thanks!<br><br>[color:white]God speed, mikeb. Go drive your Boxster in the big Autobahn in the sky...</font color=white>