Anyone use their cell phone as a wireless modem

Posted by: Michael

Anyone use their cell phone as a wireless modem - 08/11/04 07:25 AM

I've been trying for days to get my PB to use my cell phone as a modem. I have downloaded and installed the modem script and also tried a generic Verizon script. Network sys pref detected a new port the first time I hooked it up. It shows up in the USB panel of About This Mac info, but every time I try to use it it does the connecting thing, but can't seem to communicate with the phone and then disconnects. I don't have the greatest phone it's a Kyocera 2325 that came free with my account, but I'm not buying a new phone to occasionally check email. There is a modem script and it IS suppose to work, but I feel like I'm missing something. Is there something you are supposed to do to the phone?<br><br>
Posted by: srumrill

Re: Anyone use their cell phone as a wireless modem - 08/11/04 08:05 AM

Hey Michael,<br><br>I went though this for days with my parents who have a Verizon mobile phone and an iBook (you can search for some previous posts of mine). We spent so much time screwing around with mobile scripts and what not, but we could never get it to work correctly. We even had the same behavior as you, with the iBook communicating with the phone, then disconnecting.<br><br>What we ended up doing was buying and downloading QuickLink Mobile for Mac OSX, and it worked like a charm, first time, without any complicated modem scripts and what not. I HIGHLY recommend it. The software seems to support your phone, and I'm sure you know about Verizon's Mobile Office feature which essentially gives you free internet access.<br><br>Let me know how it works out for you.<br><br>Scott<br><br>

Re: Anyone use their cell phone as a wireless modem - 08/11/04 08:16 AM

Thanks for the reply. I saw that QuickLink Mobile, but 50 bucks? Since I already have the USB cable I was hoping I could get it to work on my own even if I have to use VPC.<br><br>
Posted by: srumrill

Re: Anyone use their cell phone as a wireless modem - 08/11/04 08:22 AM

You should send them an e-mail to find out what it would cost without the USB cable. Although my father already had a USB calbe for his phone, he ordered it with the cable, since he's prone to losing things.<br><br>But when you think about how much time you've spent with trying to configure these modem scripts, and how much of a hack it is, this product paid for itself in an hour. Plus, you have Verizon, so you get the free ISP.<br><br>

Re: Anyone use their cell phone as a wireless modem - 08/11/04 08:53 AM

If it was something I really needed I wouldn't hesitate to buy it, but I don't and I'm also afraid it won't work and I'll be out another 15 or so dollars after retuning it to them. Maybe I'll go hit the poker room at Foxwoods and win the 50 bucks to buy it.<br><br>