What's Your Wireless?

Posted by: alAnonymous

What's Your Wireless? - 08/03/04 01:19 PM

I'm getting ready to dump Sprint.<br><br>What phones (currently available)/providers are the best w/Mac? I've been using Salling clicker as the motivation to pick a phone/provider.<br><br>TMobile looks like they have a great plan with the Get More Plus (1000 anytime unlimited N&W) = $59.99 but they don't currently offer a phone that's on Salling's list.<br>
Posted by: RubenC

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/03/04 05:10 PM

Remember you can take your number with you.<br>I'm with Sprint also, but I can't make a change until early next year. <br>Friends of mine are real happy with Cingular Wireless and Verizon. I'd recommend going through a wireless broker, because they represent more than one generally and have no real allegiance to any one provider.<br><br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/04/04 12:59 AM

I just signed up with t-mobile here. My local choices were pretty much Sprint, AT&T, Verizon and T-Mobile (the rest are all smaller potatoes). Sprint and AT&T both get pretty crappy customer service scores from Consumer Reports and Verizon doesn't offer a Bluetooth capable phone. The Sony Ericsson T610 works great at syncing with my Powerbook and my Tungsten T3 (also Bluetooth enabled). The deal I got makes the phone free once I get my rebate back.<br><br>

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/04/04 11:10 AM

Cool! Thanks for the heads up about the Sony Ericsson. I was leaning in that direction...just wish it wasn't so clunky looking...<br><br>
Posted by: srumrill

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/04/04 11:36 AM

My folks just got Verizon, and since they travel 100% of the time, they have to use their cell phone to get internet access. Verizon has a free service called Mobile Office, which allows them to connect to the internet, over a fairly fast connection for FREE.<br><br>Here's a link on how to do it:<br>http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/<br><br>Or since, we had some trouble doing it that way, my folks just purchased Quicklink Mobile with the cable and it worked right out of the box. <br><br>Great solution if you don't want to pay for an ISP.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/04/04 12:43 PM

Actually, the T610 is quite tiny (smallest phone I've owned so far). I'm still getting used to the interface having used Nokia up until now. TMobile had the T610 and another Nokia model available with bluetooth (though the Nokia phone was about $400).<br><br>T610<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/04/04 01:35 PM

I dumped Sprint this past winter and went with Cingular. I got the Sony Erricson T616 phone.<br><br>"You mean they're taking the thoughts we think we thought and making them thoughts we think we thought... I think." - Patrick

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/04/04 09:59 PM

Do any of you use the T616 with your Mac, and/or with Salling Clicker?<br><br>
Posted by: carp

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/04/04 10:52 PM

Nextel and it sucks - even in radio function.<br>I have to say that the phone is made by Motorola soooooo they too share in the blame.<br><br>Simply they both suck <br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/05/04 02:28 AM

I use my 616 with my mac via Bluetooth. I haven't really tried Sailing Clicker though.<br><br>"You mean they're taking the thoughts we think we thought and making them thoughts we think we thought... I think." - Patrick
Posted by: Bryan

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/05/04 06:15 AM

I have a smaller provider, they're in about 41 markets. Unlimited local and unlimited long distance calling for $49.99 a month with no contract. I love it. Ditched my landline 2 years ago. <br><br>When I travel, I use a Virgin Mobile Prepaid phone.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: What's Your Wireless? - 08/05/04 11:55 AM

Verizon has always been good to me, signal wise...<br><br>Not crazy about their pricing plans and phones, but I don't really use the phone for anything but making calls...<br><br>[color:white]God speed, mikeb. Go drive your Boxster in the big Autobahn in the sky...</font color=white>