Dumb Wireless Sharing Question

Posted by: Biggerfoot

Dumb Wireless Sharing Question - 10/16/02 04:38 PM

I am sharing a wireless connection between my G4 and my PowerBook. I am using 10.2.1 and have a cable modem connected to my G4<br><br>I have the Firewall turned on my G4.<br><br>If I turn file sharing on so I can swap files between my G4 and my PowerBook, and with the Firewall on, will my CPU still be seen via my cable modem?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: Dumb Wireless Sharing Question - 10/16/02 05:03 PM

If you mean will your powerbook still be able to see the G4 with the firewall turned on, yes. The firewall isn't going to stop you if you have the log-in and password to get in.<br><br>It will also be viewable to me over the internet... if I knew what your IP address, username and password were... otherwise nobody will know you are there.<br><br>
Posted by: Biggerfoot

Re: Dumb Wireless Sharing Question - 10/16/02 05:38 PM

Good...I was wondering if other would be able to see me. At my university, I am shock at how many people's CPUs I can see when I am on the network.<br><br>

Re: Dumb Wireless Sharing Question - 10/16/02 05:50 PM

That's because you are on "their network" along with everyone else. At home, it's "your" network, so only the people within your airport range that know the name and password of the network can get on it, then they would need the name and password of your computer to get on that.<br><br>I'm not saying you're totally safe, cause they can still get in if they have your IP address, but the security is much better at home than an open network at school.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Dumb Wireless Sharing Question - 10/17/02 05:47 AM

If you have the Firewall set to block file sharing, then nobody except for your PowerBook should be able to see you, not even get a login prompt.<br><br>

Re: Dumb Wireless Sharing Question - 10/17/02 08:58 AM

Muahahahahaaaa.... that little firewall won't stop a good hacker... but you are correct, the casual user will be fairly safe doing this. It's not like Foot is some big bank or military office, or Microsoft!<br><br>