Help with router

Posted by: yoyo52

Help with router - 06/16/04 12:42 PM

I got the Comcast cable connection installed today. I'm having problems with getting all the computers to connect, though. At this point I'm working on the Wallstreet, running OS 9.2.2 and connected to the wireless router via a wireless card. It connects to the router, and everything seems ok, but for some reason it won't get the IP address served by the router. I've tried setting the IP address manually, but that doesn't work either. Any suggestions?<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Help with router - 06/16/04 01:31 PM

Hate to sound like what you've probably already heard from tech support, but here's what I say you need to do:<br><br>1. Unplug the power from the router and turn off wireless on your laptop<br>2. Unplug the power from the modem and wait 5 seconds<br>3. Plug in the power to the modem and wait for all of the lights to finish their startup sequence (everything but PC-link should be lit and steady typically)<br>4. Plug in the wireless router and wait until it's lights are on and show a stable connection<br>5. turn on your wireless access on your laptop again.<br><br>If you're still not getting an IP from the router, you either need to update its firmware or check on its WAN settings.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Help with router - 06/16/04 01:45 PM

The Mac should be set to DHCP. Do you get a connection if you connect directly to the modem? Try deleting your TCP/IP prefs in your prefs folder and reset the network control panel to DHCP and reboot.<br><br> Vote Yay Vote Nay<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Michael on 06/16/04 04:47 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Help with router - 06/16/04 02:06 PM

Thanks, guys--I figured it out. I had to use the Airport Setup Utility to set up a "new" network connection. Kinda silly way to do things, I think. My problem now is my son's Dull. I'll deal with that later.<br><br>
Posted by: Michael

Re: Help with router - 06/16/04 03:04 PM

Just don't install the CD Comcast gives you. Everything you need to connect is already installed in your OS Windas or Mac. My sister thought she had to install the Comcast supplied CD and after she couldn't get a connection to her router. I think they do that on purpose so you won't share your connection. One other thing. When I reinstalled her Win XP and set up the network connection it had an option for cable & DSL PPPoE or LAN. I chose LAN and it worked perfectly. My sister had previously chose the prior and it kept looking for a PPPoE connection and would not let me just set it to DHCP.<br><br> Vote Yay Vote Nay
Posted by: squareman

Re: Help with router - 06/16/04 04:55 PM

I'll second that. I was having connection problems (which I knew were on Comcast's end) but I had to run the install program before Comcast would look deeper into the problem. I'm still finding things that the installer f'ed with at a system prefs (xml plist file) level. It changed my default browser, my default home page, my default email account, my default newsreader, etc. etc. I was sooooo pissed. And nowhere at all is it documented what has been modified. <br><br>