MySQL on Panther

Posted by: squareman

MySQL on Panther - 06/12/04 04:52 PM

Anyone know of a good tutorial out there on setting up MySQL for Panther (and not OS X Server). I'd like to try out some CMS programs but haven't set up MySQL on my Mac before. <br><br>Secondarily, any CMS programs one might recommend? I've been looking at bloggers, but they're just too limited. <br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: MySQL on Panther - 06/12/04 06:32 PM

mysql is a package installer for Jag and above.<br><br>http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/4.0.html<br><br>scroll down, download OS X 10.3 Standard, and double click the installer. <br><br>Have you looked at something like postnuke, PHP-nuke or MDPro for your CMS?<br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>
Posted by: Trog

Re: MySQL on Panther - 06/12/04 07:01 PM

Yes, thanks to Lori, I found two sites that got me up and running... and I didn't even really know what MySQL was, I just wanted to set up a forum. <br><br>LINK<br><br>LINK<br><br>The second one was the most useful for me, the guy has step by step instructions... my kind of installation <br><br>

Re: MySQL on Panther - 06/13/04 01:47 PM

I've been looking at them all. Just looking for some recommendations from those that have a preference. I did find this site to rather helpful when shopping around for opensource CMS packages: http://opensourcecms.com. It has many of the PHP/MySQL based CMS out there set up as default installs and allows you to tinker around with the admin interface of each. <br><br>Outside of those, I've been looking into Magnolia. That one looks interesting.<br><br>

Re: MySQL on Panther - 06/14/04 05:18 AM

Magnolia looks interesting. I might have to peek at it myself.<br><br>I stopped having any interest in any php stuff. I use java servlets now for my dynamic content.<br><br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>

Re: MySQL on Panther - 06/14/04 10:52 AM

You've said that before about PHP. Why don't you like it anymore? It seems like such a robust module. It was also the only way I was able to stop the hacking of my email form on my site (moving it from PERL to PHP).<br><br>

Re: MySQL on Panther - 06/14/04 11:52 AM

mostly it's a consolidation of languages to keep things simple in my brain.<br><br>I try to program exclusively in<br><br>1) C<br>2) Objective C<br>3) Java<br>4) awk - unix batch programming<br><br>PHP just seemed to fall behind in technology so I dropped it off my list. There is a new following of people that really like python as a replacement to perl/PHP. But I haven't even touched that one yet. My brain is too full.<br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>

Re: MySQL on Panther - 06/14/04 01:38 PM

I see, makes complete sense. As someone who can barely wrap his head around any object-oriented programming (I couldn't even write my own javascript from scratch to save my life—though I can tweak and test existing scripts without problem to my satisfaction), I like PHP solely because it seems pretty stable, reliable and there's a plethora of pre-written scripts out there. I'm blissfully ignorant of how far behind it is in technology. <br><br>