WiFi router recommendations?

Posted by: squareman

WiFi router recommendations? - 04/18/04 09:59 PM

I'm looking to get an 802.11g wireless router so I can use it with my Powerbook, but it also needs to provide good backward compatibility with 802.11b for my wife's notebook. I've been reading on Cnet that the Linksys routers have poor "mixed" mode performance. Anyone have any experience in running a mixed WiFi network? <br><br>BTW, I'm looking for this new router because the D-Link 802.11b router allows my Powerbook to connect fine with it, but I'm having a damned hard time getting my wife's notebook to connect to it. I've been able to get her notebook to connect on other networks (someone else's WiFi controlled by a Linksys router), but even after updating the firmware on the D-Link, no such luck.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 04/18/04 10:04 PM

If you remember a few months ago we had a lot of threads about routers, and I (and some others here) ended up getting the Linksys 802.11g. I haven't had a single bit of trouble with mine. All the setup is browser based, and although they don't directly support macs, I can't see how that would be problem. If you shop around a bit you can find it for about $75, I think.<br><br><br><br><br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 04/18/04 10:13 PM

The Linksys 802.11g doesn't play well with Airport Extreme, unless they fixed it but when I ran into the problem they didn't seem to care. They said it is a known problem and to solve it back the speed of the router down.<br><br>Are you using it with Airport Extreme or regular Airport, and can you access it through a browser?<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 04/18/04 10:37 PM

Its wired to a Powermac G5 and a Dell something-or-other. The WiFi connects to a TiPowerbook 667 (regular airport card) as 802.11b/g mixed signal.<br><br>Yes, no problem accessing through Safari or Camino. I've also updated the firmware once using a free utility I downloaded from versiontracker (I forget the name).<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 04/19/04 04:40 AM

I have a D-Link wireless router, and it works fine with my PM Airport, my son's iBook Airport Extreme, my wife's Wallstreet PB with 3rd party card, the household iBook with Airport, and my son's Dull with PCI card. I also have two non-WiFi computers wired to it.<br><br>
Posted by: lspencer

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 04/19/04 05:36 AM

I have the D-Link DI-614 hooked to my cable modem in my spare bedroom. I have a G4/933mhz with Airport Card, a Dell GX1/450mhz with D-Link Wireless Access Point and a Compaq Laptop with a wireless card (brand ?). It all works flawlessly. I set it up with my browser on the Mac (thru the wireless connection) and it isn't even physically attached to a computer at all. <br><br>Larry Spencer<br><br>
Posted by: Jim_

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 04/19/04 12:03 PM

Okay, you're good, The wired part is fine, it's Airport Extreme that has/had the problems.<br><br>Thanks.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 04/20/04 12:36 AM

get the Apple Airport base station. You'll have much better control over the many features and it's much cooler looking.<br><br>btw, have you guys seen that Apple released the power over Ethernet for the Airport Base Station? although i would rather see ethernet (internet) over power modem to be built into it. <br><br>http://www.apple.com/airport/specs.html<br>http://www.macminute.com/2004/04/19/airportbasestation<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 05/20/04 11:59 AM

why pay the price for airport extreme, I was up and running in no time with a Net Gear wireless modem. I have been wireless for months, no problems. Sitting in my backyard as we speak.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 05/20/04 12:06 PM

... cannot go wrong with this Asanté model.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: WiFi router recommendations? - 05/21/04 10:09 AM

I paid extra because it has a Rendezvous print server. I can print from my PowerBook without having to turn on the desktop to "share" the printer.<br><br>