DSL on OSX setup

Posted by: JohnR

DSL on OSX setup - 03/21/04 08:50 AM

I have a friend who is trying to set up DSL on his mac running OSX. I have cable, so I'm not too familiar with DSL.<br><br>Any ideas on how to get him up and running? PPPOE or whatever that is? Or does he need to connect with Internet Connect? Or is it all through Network in System Preference?<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: DSL on OSX setup - 03/21/04 09:19 AM

Is he running it through a router, John? If so, the PPPoE set up is through the router. If he's not, then the PPPoE set up is via the Network Pane. Go to the Built-in Ethernet option in the pop-up menu, and then to the PPPoE tab. Checke the Connect using PPPoE box and then fill in the information. He won't use Intenet Connect because he'll be connected via ethernet, not a phone port. It's a piece of cake, really.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: DSL on OSX setup - 03/21/04 09:19 AM

It depends on his ISP and modem really.<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman
Posted by: gnfnr2k

Re: DSL on OSX setup - 03/21/04 11:20 AM

I had problems wiht connecting with that cd disc, you need to call verizon or dsl provider to set it up manual.<br><br>

Re: DSL on OSX setup - 03/21/04 01:16 PM

All you really need is the username and the password to put into the appropriate fields in the PPPoE window.<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: DSL on OSX setup - 03/21/04 01:39 PM

I have no idea what PPPOE even is, but my younger sister, who had never even used a computer, got DSL working just by plugging it in and selecting built-in ethernet and DHCP in the network setting.<br><br><br><br>[color:blue]Dick Vitale </font color=blue>

Re: DSL on OSX setup - 03/21/04 01:55 PM

That'll work unless the provider has a sign-in protocol. The PPPoE (Point to Point Protocol over Ethernet) Pane takes care of that. But yes, you also have to set up the Ethernet Pane to handle DHCP (it's unusual to get a fixed IP address with DSL).<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: DSL on OSX setup - 03/23/04 05:58 AM

ADSL is alittle bit complicated in the intial set up.<br>You need to find the web address of the modem/router maker.<br>Go to their website and initialise the modem for starters.<br><br>Then set up your ISP via ethernet using DHCP.<br>PPOe is a little messy, and unreliable in initial set up stage.<br><br>The ISP should know these steps, but hey we use Mac's dont we.<br><br><br><br>ITS BEER O'CLOCK