G5 airport extreme fun

Posted by: Anonymous

G5 airport extreme fun - 03/13/04 11:50 PM

after opening that big black box...i got it all on the go but cant seem to get my airport working<br>No base station...just an extreme card in the G5 and a normal airport card in the pismo<br>It worked fine before the big move<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 01:26 AM

did you install the antenna for the G5?<br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 03:15 AM

another point<br>G5 running panther<br>pismo running jaguar<br>it all points to where it should but she is pulling my hair out<br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 04:50 AM

is the airport extreme blinking? did you try to reset it? press reset for 5 sec. maybe it's been set up in a way that you can only connect to it if you know the wireless network name and it won't even show up otherwise in the list of wifi networks. by resetting you can reconfigure it.<br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 05:01 AM

WHERE DOES THE EXTREME BLINK this is not a base station.. two cards one in a G5 acting as the base station.<br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 05:03 AM

ive been at this for hours and like butthead i feel like punching my computer<br><br>
Posted by: JohnR

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 05:22 AM

Did you set up Airport either in System Preferences or use the Airport setup in Utilities?<br><br>Another thing..try taking out the cards and reseating them...one at a time to see if that works.<br><br>And check the antenae on the back of the G5<br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 05:33 AM

ah, so you are trying to share the internet connection that comes through ethernet to wifi? did you set-up internet sharing in sys prefs sharing?<br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 05:36 AM

hehe..whoa..you finally caught that? <br><br>yeah, he wants to surf wirelessly with his powerbook using his G5 as a base station. He should be able to do this with OSX 10.2 and above I think...and airport cards.<br><br>I would think that all he would have to do is set the settings on the laptop and turn on the airport card on the G5...course I don't have this setup, so I'm probably wrong.<br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 05:55 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>...cant seem to get my airport working<br>No base station...<p><hr></blockquote><p>without punctuation, you can easily misinterpret this as saying the airport base station is refusing to work. <br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 06:48 AM

I agree about the no punctuation making things a little confusing...but just read on:<br><blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>No base station...just an extreme card in the G5 and a normal airport card in the pismo<br><p><hr></blockquote><p><br>
Posted by: TreeBeard

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 09:21 AM

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr><p>base station refusing to work<p><hr></blockquote><p> on strike? ;)<br><br><br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 01:05 PM

Yeah I was going to say the same thing about checking that the cards are seated properly. I had that problem with the first Airport card I ever installed. Now I know better. If that thing is not seated all the way, it ain't gonna work. <br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 03:05 PM

G5 finder shows<br>showing airport connected & signal being sent<br>powerbook shows full fignal.<br><br>

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 03:18 PM

If the signal is being sent from the G5 (and you do have the airport antenae hooked up on the back of the G5, right?) then I would suspect the laptop.<br><br>Can you take a screenshot of your network prefs (with IP blocked so we can't see it, of course) of both machines?<br><br>Since there is no airport here, I can't see what needs to be checked.<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: G5 airport extreme fun - 03/14/04 04:25 PM

Have you got the firewall enabled on the G5? If so it will block all ports unless specified and this includes http, ftp etc. So either disable the firewall on the G5 or allow the right ports http, ftp etc. For a list of ports visit:<br><br>http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106439<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

SAGA - 03/14/04 09:52 PM

the drama's are over, i must say thet apple care support is a waste of oxygen and a phone call, they tried to tell me that what i wanted to do was not possible....maybe not in downtown Bangladesh but i know we wont take no for an answer.<br>After trashing all the preference for networking and rebooting it came good.<br>Thanks for all your inputs, i may have know a few of them but hey its usally something obvious<br><br>