WRT54G Linksys wireless router

Posted by: iRock

WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 05:31 AM

Does anyone use one of these? This is what the one employee at Staples that knows anything about Macs sold me but I am still skeptical. I find very few Mac references on their website for support for this product but I did find one thing in the knowledge base. just wondering if anyone else has one.<br>http://www.linksys.com/Products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=508<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 05:33 AM

Routers like this tend to be configured from a web browser so it should work fine, just plug it in and look in the documentation for the IP type it into a web browser and bingo you should be able to configure it.<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 06:16 AM

Excellent, thanks!<br><br>
Posted by: Trog

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 06:28 AM

I'm using it right now, and I love it. If you get one and have questions, just let me know.<br><br>
Posted by: cherry

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 06:30 AM

I'm watching Mr.Ed right now. <br><br>

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 06:57 AM

Thanks I have it right here. This weekend we are putting an Airport card in the TiBook and then it is just a short time until we get satellite internet. The router will go on the B&W G3 running 10.2.8.<br><br>

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 08:39 AM

Should be no problem. There is hardly any set up. Last week I plugged a Linux machine into it (which I know NOTHING about) and it just worked, and now I can share things with it and the Macs without any problem.<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 08:45 AM

The only place where lack of Mac support on a router matters is that you can't run any firmware updates... and that's never been an issue with my network.<br><br>

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 09:15 AM

You do know about Mac TFTP though right? I've upgraded my linksys firmware without too much trouble.<br><br><br>The firmware mine shipped with wouldn't work with dyndns.org, so I needed an update<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Trog on 02/26/04 12:16 PM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 09:19 AM

That's pretty sweet. Thanks for the link. Ironically, I started using a DLink wireless router when I bought a Powerbook (it was the cheapest one I could buy at the time). When I'm ready, I'll buy a nicer router with 802.11g instead of just b and I think I'll look at the more Mac-friendly brands... now if I can only remember the names of the brands.<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 09:25 AM

I have a D-Link wireless g router, and it works fine. D-Link is more Mac friendly than Linksys or Netgear, I think.<br><br>

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 09:32 AM

D-Link is Mac-friendly when it comes to support; but comparing D-Link and Linksys web-admin interfaces, D-Link blows.<br><br>

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 09:35 AM

Other than having Mac installers for the firmware updates, what more would you want that would be "mac friendly"? I mean, its a web interface that works with Safari, what more would you want?<br><br>I guess they could have Mac phone support, but I think we know just how helpful that usually is.<br><br>
Posted by: KateSorensen

Sherm Hemsley voice Mr. Ed - 02/26/04 10:09 PM

Full Cast and Crew for <br>"Mr. Ed" (2004)<br><br>David Alan Basche .... Wilbur Pope<br><br>Garret Dillahunt .... Jim Hendry<br><br>Sherilyn Fenn .... Carlotta Pope<br><br>Sherman Hemsley .... Mr. Ed (voice)<br><br>Blake Woodruff .... Danny Pope<br><br>KateMate
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: WRT54G Linksys wireless router - 02/26/04 10:11 PM

I have heard good things about them too.<br><br>