Another wireless network nearby!

Posted by: Anonymous

Another wireless network nearby! - 02/25/04 08:17 AM

This is weird, suddenly when checking my Airport this morning I noticed another wireless signal showing up. I was able to use it no problem. I guess I better make mine a closed one then. <br><br><br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Another wireless network nearby! - 02/25/04 09:33 AM

Is yours the "Airport Network 22c100"? If so, then yes, set those passwords, enable that WPA, and close that up!<br><br>I live in a new neighbourhood but I haven't noticed any signals. My neighbour works in the computing industry but I don't think he has any Wireless at home.<br><br>

Re: Another wireless network nearby! - 02/25/04 11:21 AM

Yeah that one is mine. I recall there was a way to make it a closed network, can't find where you do that though. Although I do already have it set to require a password to join, so maybe I already have it set up like that? I kind of think it is then already a close network. Am I right?<br><br>
Posted by: squareman

Re: Another wireless network nearby! - 02/25/04 11:31 AM

You're not "closing" the network as much as not broadcasting your Network as joinable—i.e. you have to know the name of the network before you can join. For my DLink router, I needed to hit the SSID disabled radio button to do this.<br><br>
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Another wireless network nearby! - 02/25/04 04:47 PM

In the Airport Admin Utility, click "Show All Settings at the bottom left after logging into the Base Station. Then you'll see the option near the bottom of the window. When you do this, the base station will no longer show up in the Airport menu (or anyone else's menu). You have to choose "Other" from the Airport menu and type the network name in manually. It will remember the name over sleep, restarts, etc.<br><br><br><br>

Re: Another wireless network nearby! - 02/25/04 09:06 PM

Yeah I got it figured out and did that just a few minutes before I read your reply. Thanks!<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Another wireless network nearby! - 02/25/04 10:34 PM

make sure you remember the exact name of your network and in case base station, because it won't obviously show up anymore<br><br><pre>PMG5/1.8Ghz/1GBRAM, PBG3/400Mhz/768MBRAM, AirportX</pre><p>

Re: Another wireless network nearby! - 02/26/04 03:58 AM

Right, took a screen shot. <br><br>