Advanced(?) hack needed.

Posted by: squareman

Advanced(?) hack needed. - 02/24/04 12:11 AM

Okay, it looks like Panther comes with Internet sharing capabilities enabled for sharing with other computers using either Ethernet or WiFi but not BlueTooth. This doesn't make much sense to me since I can get an Internet connection using a bluetooth phone to serve to the PowerBook. What I'd like to do is do some Internet sharing from the PowerBook to serve an internet connection to my Palm T3 (with built in BlueTooth). Anyone know of a way I can do this?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: Advanced(?) hack needed. - 02/24/04 12:48 AM

Follow this link:<br><br>http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20021103062212288<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Advanced(?) hack needed. - 02/24/04 01:16 AM

but than why would you want to do that besides experimentation? bluetooth is a short range service, so you would have to be in a 10 meter range to your computer, so why bother using your palm or powerbook, when you can just sit at the computer directly and do your thing? unless of course you need to rest in a bed or you just need the connection once in a while for syncing your data through the internet.<br><br><pre>PMG5/1.8Ghz/1GBRAM, PBG3/400Mhz/768MBRAM, AirportX</pre><p>

Re: Advanced(?) hack needed. - 02/24/04 05:06 AM

As bluetooth is not line of sight you can surf the net on a palm via your net connection on your computer which may be in another room. e.g. while watching telivision<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Re: Advanced(?) hack needed. - 02/24/04 07:34 AM

oh yes. that's ultimate comfort!<br><br>btw, i don't think bluetooth works through walls as effectively. i think the distance will drop to 5 meters or so...<br><br><pre>PMG5/1.8Ghz/1GBRAM, PBG3/400Mhz/768MBRAM, AirportX</pre><p>

Re: Advanced(?) hack needed. - 02/24/04 09:05 AM

It works fine with my computer in My bedroom and me in the next room...<br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman
Posted by: squareman

Re: Advanced(?) hack needed. - 02/24/04 09:22 AM

Thanks MacGuru. I saw that too, but it seemed to be fine tuned for Jaguar and people were having problems getting it working with Panther.<br><br>I did find this that was quite helpful and I got it to work: http://www.technohappymeal.com/archives/000070.html<br><br>Ivan, to answer your question: I specifically wanted to use it to test Websites that I'm developing for a palmOne client to see how they'd look and behave on a wireless device—so I needed my T3 to be able to connect to my local server. I achieved that by setting up a PPP BlueTooth service on the laptop that the PDA could use to connect to Web services. But MacGuru's point is valid too—it's a lot more convenient to look up the phone number of the local pizza delivery from a PDA than it is a laptop. <br><br>

Re: Advanced(?) hack needed. - 02/24/04 10:29 AM

cool. good to know.<br><br><pre>PMG5/1.8Ghz/1GBRAM, PBG3/400Mhz/768MBRAM, AirportX</pre><p>