IP address of second computer?

Posted by: Trog

IP address of second computer? - 02/21/04 11:14 PM

So, I now have two computers hooked to a wired router, sharing a cable connection at home. <br><br>If I want to connect to each one via VNC while I'm at work, how would I know what IP address to use, since they are both sharing the same one?<br><br>
Posted by: MacGizmo

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 05:20 AM

They aren't sharing the same one. The router has one IP address that your ISP thinks is your one and only computer, then the router uses DHCP to assign an IP addy to each computer. Each computer has an IP, they just aren't accessible outside of your network - without configuration. Usually a router will allow you to configure the incoming ports, etc. with a browser-based GUI.<br><br><br> What?<br>Visit My Web Site!

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 07:38 AM

Here's what I can do. I can access the G5 from linux using VNC just using its local internet address:192.168.1.100 or I can mount one of its disks using samba with: [url=smb://192.168.1.100.][url=smb://192.168.1.100.][url=smb://192.168.1.100.]smb://192.168.1.100.[/url][/url][/url]<br><br>I can also access the linux machine from the G5 with both VNC or smb using its local address of 192.168.1.102<br><br>So, now to access either one from outside the LAN (through the internet) I have to be able to tell the router which machine I want it to access when I put in my ISP's IP address (68.x.xxx.xxx) right? Ok, I've read some about it and tried it out. I've made some port forward settings then that look like this:<br><br><br>I know that I'm doing something right because I can mount the G5's disk using the afp protocol when I forward port 548 to 192.168.1.100. If I don't forward the port it doesn't work.<br><br>But, I can't get either the VNC or the samba protocol to work with EITHER machine? Are the ports correct? Can anyone think of anything else that needs to be done?<br><br>Oh, and I don't think the ports are wrong because the router has an option for "DMZ forwarding" which basically forwards ALL ports to one machine. Even with that option overriding all others I can't connect to either machine?<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 08:09 AM

If you can't access a machine when you put it in the DMZ, then check with your ISP. Some ISP's block smb shares to protect their customers.<br><br><br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 08:17 AM

Hmmm, I see. But what about the VNC, that shouldn't be blocked, right? I know that my ISP allows Timbuktu and/or Apple's remote viewing program, although I don't know what ports those use. Or is this not a port blocking thing?<br>
Posted by: MacGuru

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 09:01 AM

One way you could access the two computers is by using 2 different ports for the vnc server and forwarding the two different ports to the different machines. <br><br>"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 09:11 AM

I would start by removing the router from the equation.<br><br>Connect a Mac directly up to the modem. Configure the Mac and try to access it. Once you have access to the Mac, then you can eliminate the ISP or settings on the Mac.<br><br>Next connect up the router. Connect only one computer and put it in the DMZ. This should be the equivalent of connecting the Mac directly without a router. If you can't get it to work in the DMZ, check to make sure there aren't any setting on the router that is stopping it.<br><br>Once you have it working on the DMZ, then take the computer out of the DMZ and forward the ports. When that is working, then connect up the second computer.<br><br><br>I find that if I use a step by step approach like this I can isolate the problem quickly.<br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 09:17 AM

Yes, I tried that first of all, but when it didn't work I went to something more simple - just one port, one server and all ports open to that machine.<br><br>

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 09:28 AM

Ahhh, I think you were right at first about the samba. I can now connect to the linux machine via VNC if I set the DMZ setting to it, or forward the port(s) but the samba connection just gets stuck at "connecting to server".<br><br>Also, MacGuru, I can now test your point again. It was late last night when I was first trying this and I think it could have been user error. <br><br>So, it looks like VNC will work and its just samba that won't. Is there another way to mount disks between OSX and Linux?<br><br>

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 10:25 AM

for my remote linux server I use secure shell and WebDav to access it.<br><br>but then again I am a command line junky <br><br>WebDav would be a good alternative, because it only allows access to certain parts of your computer. And you can run it on any port.<br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 10:43 AM

WebDav, ok I'll have to look into that, but then I'm NOT a command line junky <br><br>So, I take it FTP can't use any port? I've tried using that by forwarding different ports and no go.<br><br>

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 11:04 AM

I hate FTP. Refuse to set it up on any computer/server that I have. As a result, I have very little understanding of it.<br><br>There are quite a few good tutorials on the web on setting up webdav on OSX. It's no harder than setting up php or other Apache modules.<br><br><br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>

Re: IP address of second computer? - 02/22/04 03:10 PM

I looked for a minute at the WebDAV and it looks pretty neat. I think I'll try that during the next playtime. I've got other issues still. The linux box can see the printer attached to and shared by my G5 via USB, it even says its connected and can print test sheets to it.... but nothing ever happens.<br><br>I don't mind these problems because this is just for fun, but it really does show how wonderful OSX is.<br><br>