another question about wireless internet

Posted by: Anonymous

another question about wireless internet - 02/04/04 08:06 PM

ok i finally got what i need today to connect my g4 wirelessly to my pc down stairs. Now i have a new problem. I thought everything was plug and play according to the directions but i get an error saying cannot find server everytime i open up internet explorer. I take it i have to put my isp address in but when i do it still doesnt work. what do i have to do<br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: another question about wireless internet - 02/04/04 08:23 PM

Two questions: what OS are you running on the G4? are you using the PC as your router?<br><br>Having had a miserable time setting up the only PC in my house to use wireless, I wonder what network setting you've set up on the PC to have it serve as router. I don't know anything about the PC side of things, by the way--just wondering what the set up is.<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: another question about wireless internet - 02/04/04 08:34 PM

im running osx 10.3.2. I have the wireless router on my pc so that i can have internet on my mac. Everything read like it was just plug in and it would work but i dont have any internet on my mac.<br><br>

Re: another question about wireless internet - 02/04/04 09:43 PM

I'm still not clear on what you're using as a router--is the PC itself being used as the router, or do you have a separate router that connects to both computers? Is the router (whether a separate device or the PC being used as router) a DHCP server?<br><br>One more question. If you're using a wireless bridge, you'll probably have to program it--have you done so?<br><br>

Re: another question about wireless internet - 02/04/04 09:57 PM

I just downloaded the D-link manual, and see that the bridge's default setting gives it a static IP address, 192.168.0.30, with the usual subnet mask (255.255.255.0). Does your router work with those settings? If not, connect the bridge to your Mac, fire up your browser, type the IP address of the bridge into the url field, and follow the set up instructions. The instructions say that you ought to keep the bridge with a fixed IP address, so make sure you don't change that setting. But you have to know what range of IP addresses your router serves up and make sure that the static address you give to the bridge is within the range of the router.<br><br>edit: it also looks like you need to have a crossover ethernet cable for the bridge.<br><br><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by yoyo52 on 02/05/04 01:03 AM (server time).</EM></FONT></P>