need help with wireless adapter card

Posted by: Anonymous

need help with wireless adapter card - 02/03/04 05:24 PM

im trying to run a wireless internet connection from my main computer downstairs, which is a pc to my mac g4 upstairs. I bought a wireless router but cant find a wireless adapter pci card anywhere for mac. I dont know why this is so difficult but im not getting any help from anyone and this wireless internet is very new to me. Can anyone point me in the right direction or list what equipment they use. Thank you very much<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: need help with wireless adapter card - 02/03/04 05:30 PM

our G4 has a slot for an airport card. <br><br>Tell us which mac G4 you have and maybe some can help you out.<br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>

Re: need help with wireless adapter card - 02/03/04 07:39 PM

im sorry i should have included more information. My g4 doesnt have a airport slot. Its 400 mhz g4 with the blueish tower. I have a cable connection to my main computer which is a dell. I bought a belkin wireless router which said it was for mac and pc, so i bought the wireless adapter card thinking it would work and its for pc only. Is there any companies that make a wireless pci card for macs or do i have to get the airport card and does the airport card work with any wireless router. Sorry if these questions are stupid but like i said i have zilch for knowledge when it comes to wireless internet. thanks inadvance for anyones help<br><br>
Posted by: JonnyCat

Re: need help with wireless adapter card - 02/03/04 08:33 PM

I can't help you out with what card you need for the G4, but..<br><br>wireless networking is pretty standard. We have a linksys wireless router that works just fine with our two power books and one wireless linux laptop. At one point we had a winblows machine on the wireless network as well.<br><br>At work we have some sort of dell wireless network and my powerBook connects no problemo <br><br>sounds like you just need the right adaptor/card for the G4 and you're all set to go.<br><br>[color:blue]All your sock puppets are belong to us</font color=blue>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: need help with wireless adapter card - 02/03/04 08:44 PM

Since you don't have an Airport slot, what you need is a wireless bridge. [ur=http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=45]Here's[/url] one bor a wireless b connection, and here's one for a wireless g connection. Other manufacturers have the same kind of product, by the way.<br><br>

Re: need help with wireless adapter card - 02/03/04 08:50 PM

i actually saw that early while doing some research but wasnt sure if that would work. Thank you so much for the info, ill have to hit up the stores again tomarrow. thanks again.<br><br>