Wireless router question..

Posted by: DaddyMac

Wireless router question.. - 12/29/03 07:51 AM

Ok, so I think I may make the jump to wireless someday- right now I don't have a laptop or any machines in other rooms, but I DO have a CompUSA gift card burning a hole in my pocket and I'd like not to have to buy ALL the equipment at once when I finally get the lappie.<br><br>What I guess I want to find out is the setup for the router (most likely Linksys) and if there's some way to disable the wireless functionality of it until I actually get some wireless products in my house...<br><br>Would this serve my needs well enough? I'm not up on my wireless networking standards, but it says 'Wireless G'- is that the same as 802.11g? There's other routers listed on the site as having 'dual-band' capability, etc. Is this something I need to even worry about? <br><br>Basically, at some point I could only see one or two things being wireless- one laptop and possibly an Xbox if I re-sign up for my Live service again...<br><br>
Posted by: greenme1

Re: Wireless router question.. - 12/29/03 07:55 AM

Wireless G does sound like the 802.11g standard. And dual -band is typically a router that is 802.11b 802.11g and 802.11a all together. Unless you have or need 802.11a you don't need it.<br><br>
Posted by: DaddyMac

Re: Wireless router question.. - 12/29/03 08:04 AM

It says 'draft' before the 802.11g part- that just worries me a bit is all..<br><br>
Posted by: Anonymous

Re: Wireless router question.. - 12/29/03 08:52 AM

Can't say for sure, haven't seen the unit in person, but unless the wireless router has several RJ45 ports to accept ethernet cables for the various things you would hook up to it until you go all wireless, that isn't going to work for you. For example, my Airport base station only has one port for an ethernet cable. Being a wireless router, I don't imagine the Linksys would have more than one either. I mean what's the point of having more than that for a unit that functions wirelessly, capiche? You might want to download the product pdf for that and see what it has in the way of ports on the backside, that should clear things up for you pronto. <br><br>Wireless-G kicks butt, wish I had it. Very fast. I accidentally found myself using it once at work (restricted to certain execs) and man it was blazing fast. I have 802.11b at home. <br><br>
Posted by: yoyo52

Re: Wireless router question.. - 12/29/03 09:03 AM

I just got a D-link that's almost identical to that Linksys, DM. You don't have to disable the wireless part, by the way, since it doesn't actually work unless you have a wireless device to log onto it. If you're concerned about others leeching off your wireless signal, you can set up the WEP encryption pretty easily (at least that's true on the D-Link, and I can't imagine that it'd be any harder on the Linksys). Since it's got a 4-port wired switch on it, you can connect your wired devices to it without a problem too. I've got my iMac and my PM 6115 (not to mention the @%#$%% Dull) wired to the router.<br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.