Beginning to go wireless

Posted by: yoyo52

Beginning to go wireless - 12/17/03 02:46 PM

Hurray!<br><br>But I have a couple of questions.<br><br>At this point I have only my son's IBook, which has an Airport card, wirelessly connected to the LAN. The other four computers are all wired until the stuff I bought gets here (can't wait!). The new wireless router is a DHCP server, and that's not a problem with any of the computers except my wife's PB Wallstreet, which won't receive the IP address that's getting served. I have it temporarily connected via static IP, but that's not a good idea when everything else is dynamic. Any thoughts about why the PB won't accept the IP address?<br><br>Second, as I was setting up the wireless router, I came to the WEP options. At this point I've left it disabled, which I know is not a good idea, but I did it because I don't know what that entails. Do I have to set up each computer to negotiate the WEP settings? How do I do that? And if anyone has any idea about how it gets done on XP, I'd appreciate a hint cause otherwise I won't be able to set up my son's gaming Dull.<br><br>I can't wait to get it all up and running.<br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.

Re: Beginning to go wireless - 12/17/03 02:58 PM

Never mind the first question--I got the PB to accept the served IP address.<br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.
Posted by: squareman

Re: Beginning to go wireless - 12/17/03 03:11 PM

WEP only affects computers attempting to connect to your LAN wirelessly. Just remember if it's not an airport router to enter the key in your airport password field (in preferences) preceded by a $. This way Airport knows it's a key and not a password.<br><br>

Re: Beginning to go wireless - 12/17/03 03:14 PM

Thanks!<br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.
Posted by: MikeSellers

Re: Beginning to go wireless - 12/17/03 03:15 PM

Good descriptions of various wireless security measures.<br><br>Start reading at "Wireless security is a completely separate subject . . ."<br><br>When you enabled WEP encryption, you'll have to write down the password it generates and enter that on all the machines that connect wirelessly. Keychain will remember so you only have to do it once. I've read that WEP encryption may slow down the connection but the speed seems OK on my TiBook. I may enabled MAC filtering and turn of the WEP. Seems like MAC filtering would be more secure than WEP but I'm no expert on this.<br><br>
Posted by: iraszl

Re: Beginning to go wireless - 12/17/03 11:20 PM

you have so many computers in your house? it's crazy! <br><br>

Re: Beginning to go wireless - 12/18/03 08:04 AM

So many? So many? You're beginning to sound like my wife! <br><br> My name is yoyo. Nice to meet you.