Got an airport extreme base station

Posted by: iraszl

Got an airport extreme base station - 12/04/03 07:13 AM

<br><br>First of all it's beautiful! I'm gonna setup a wireless network for dial-up for now. How do I start? Does the CD has a guide?<br><br>"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."

Re: Got an airport extreme base station - 12/04/03 07:16 AM

Hope it's this easy for dial-up too!<br><br>from Apple:<br>Extremely easy to set up<br>The AirPort Setup Assistant does most of the work for you, setting up your network, transferring the active Internet settings from your computer to the AirPort Extreme Base Station, and configuring your computer to access the AirPort Extreme network created by the base station. Once you have plugged in the base station and the middle status light glows white, open Setup Assistant and follow the instructions on your screen. Total elapsed time? About 15 minutes, tops.<br><br>"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."
Posted by: lislaz

Re: Got an airport extreme base station - 12/04/03 08:35 AM

hey congratulations! Have fun surfing!<br><br>

Re: Got an airport extreme base station - 12/04/03 10:17 AM

It's my first post using the Airport base station. It literally took 5 minutes to set up and i was guided through the whole thing. Dial-up was an option, so I just had to select it and all my settings were copied to the base station. It's so cool! I swear I feel it's faster too. Maybe the modem in the base station is better than the one I have in the Powerbook. I had to restart the base station after all the settings were done and voila it's working! Another great experience from Apple.<br><br>"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."
Posted by: lislaz

Re: Got an airport extreme base station - 12/04/03 01:38 PM

I just had my cable connection looked at because my speed was so screwed up -- speed of turtle. Turns out there was a three way cable splitter and I losing data out of the unused input whatevers. They fixed it and according to dslreports.com, I now have 1212 kbps downloading! wheeee! And all that on my Airport base station -- the first one that came out.<br><br>

Re: Got an airport extreme base station - 12/04/03 02:08 PM

glad, you got it sorted out!<br><br>"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."
Posted by: hayesk

Re: Got an airport extreme base station - 12/04/03 02:27 PM

When you get it working, don't forget to go back and secure it with passwords, and allowing only your MAC address to connect - it's under "Access Control" in the admin app. There's a handy button that will automatically enter it for you. If you have more than one Mac, don't forget the other one too.<br><br>I have the model without the modem, since I have cable. The nice thing about your model is, if you ever get cable or DSL, you can connect the modem to your phoneline, and become your own ISP when you are away from home.<br><br>

Re: Got an airport extreme base station - 12/04/03 02:39 PM

thanks, I didn't know I had to restrict access as well. I only put a password.<br><br>"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."

Re: Got an airport extreme base station - 12/05/03 06:48 AM

I have one problem, when dialling up sometimes the ISP refuses to connect. This happened before using airport too. Now, the ABS just keeps connecting and doesn't give an error or anything and I can't cancel the operation, so that I could redial. Basically it gets stuck. The only way I can redial is if I restart the ABS in the admin utility. Is there a way to force cancel the dialling up?<br><br>"I think that gay marriage is something that should be between a man and a woman."