Iphone (or other) syncing, step by step

Posted by: dhobson

Iphone (or other) syncing, step by step - 06/30/09 06:04 AM

Hello all,

Syncing the contacts and events is the same. After you do the contacts follow the same procedure for the events.

Even if you don't use iCal and AddressBook, they might already have information in them that will be duplicated. If you want to clear out your iCal and AddressBook data:

A) open addressbook and select all contacts and delete.
B) open iCal, create a new calendar called "blank" and delete all the other calendars.

Then, to sync information from Now X into Sync Services:

1) Open Now X, in contact list view and highlight all the contacts you want to sync. It may be a couple or all of them
2) Click on the edit menu in the menu bar
3) Select "Assign Tags...", second from the bottom
4) Check the "sync" tag
5) Click the OK button

These selected items with the sync tag are the items that will now sync with sync services. Remember, after Now X syncs with sync services, that information will sync with any other app that subscribes to sync services. That is not just the iPhone, it's iCal and AddressBook as well.

6) Open the "Preferences" from the "Now X" menu and click on the "Sync" preferences
7) Make sure that one or both of the sync options is checked, depending on what you want to sync

One more thought, Now X will send all the info it has to sync services. What you see will be at the limits of the program you're viewing it on. For example, although you may have 50 notes on a contact in Now X, there will only be one note on your phone. That's why the Now team made that one permanent note in the notes field of X called "primary note". That is the one note that you will see.

At this point, you can force a sync to sync services or just wait for it to do it automatically.

8 ) If you want to do a force sync, click the file menu
9) Click sync now
10) Choose what you want to sync

At this point, you can do the same thing for events. Start with the event list view and follow the same procedures above.

If you want to watch the syncing progress, you can click on the "Activity" icon, which is the third icon on the bottom left of the Now X screen and you'll see it working.

Once your data has been synced with Sync Services, you can view the data in AddressBook, iCal, or any other application that uses Sync Services. You can also follow Apple's procedure to sync your data to your iPhone, iPod, other mobile phone or other device supported by sync services.

For more information on syncing the iPhone or iPod using iTunes, please visit http://www.apple.com/iphone/how-to/index.html#get-started.syncing-with-itunes
For information on syncing other devices using iSync, visit http://www.apple.com/support/isync/

Thanks
Posted by: nlucchesi

Re: Iphone (or other) syncing, step by step - 08/12/10 09:48 AM

I followed these instructions but syncing to Address Book and iCal isn't working correctly:

1. Address Book

All the contacts sync but only the name and company sync; no phone numbers, addresses, etc., are transferred to Address Book.

2. iCal

None of the calendar entries show up in iCal. Yes, I added the "sync" tag to all the events. (In the Events List view, I selected all, and then clicked on "sync" in the Tag list.)

Can anyone give me ideas on getting the sync to work?

I'm really just trying to get my data out of Now Contact & Up To Date. The import to Now X was slow but looks good. I'm figuring that a sync to Address Book will be more robust than exporting to VCard and importing to Address Book.

If the VCard intermediary is just as good then I'll try just doing that; no need to get the sync working.

Thanks in advance.

- nello
Posted by: cvbcvb

Re: Iphone (or other) syncing, step by step - 08/21/10 01:36 AM

Try this (make sure you have a backup of everything, of course...).

To start a fresh/new Import from NUDC to Now X (and thus Address Book/iCal):

1. Open System Preferences, Mobile Me, Sync. Uncheck “Synchronize With Mobile Me”.
2. Open Now X (make sure you are using the last version 10.0.4), got to Preferences, Sync, Utilities. Click Clear Address Book, Clear iCal, Reset Sync Services.
3. Back to Preferences, Database, Maintenance. Click Clear/Clear Database.
4. Now X will now import your Contacts and Calendar from NUDC.
5. Upon Import completion, Click on the 3 tabs at the bottom of the Now X Window: Categories, Tags, Activity.
6. Go to File, Sync/Advanced Sync. Click on Slow Sync for both Contacts & Calendar. You should see this process in the “Activity” window.
7. Upon Completion, you should now have your Contacts & Calendar in Address Book & iCal. Open each and confirm all is well.
8. Quit Now X.
9. Return to System Preferences, Mobile Me, Sync. Check “Synchronize With Mobile Me”. A dialogue box will ask / Click on More Options - then adjust Contacts & Calendar to “Replace data on Mobile Me from Computer“.
10. You should now have NUDC info imported into Now X, Address Book, iCal & Mobile Me.

CVB